Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
The Dude
Untangler of blue spaghetti
3,343 Posts
Well looking at the plans now, idk why it feels like the millenium job. A tangled rats nest of wires splayed throughout a maze of offices - 6 hours, I positively ID'd 16 drops to the panel, 6 unused panel ports, 6 access points, 5 drops bypassing the panel all id'd to the switch port.

Didn't test the old 4 banger phone jacks here and there which probably account for the 8 open panel drops unless they go to the 66 block breeding area. That leaves 3 in use drops unaccounted for that I'll have to backtrace the old school way with a toner, and a couple of surface mounts that probably are disconnected somewhere. That tracer has paid for itself in a part of one job. Outstanding!

I don't normally take / share photos, but I stripped metadata and blurred out any identifiable info so y'all can feel some of the pain LOL!
Electricity Electrical wiring Circuit component Computer hardware Electronic engineering

Wood Automotive exterior Vehicle door Gas Tints and shades

Personal computer Output device Electrical wiring Gas Cable

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
1,824 Posts
Well looking at the plans now, idk why it feels like the millenium job. A tangled rats nest of wires splayed throughout a maze of offices - 6 hours, I positively ID'd 16 drops to the panel, 6 unused panel ports, 6 access points, 5 drops bypassing the panel all id'd to the switch port.

Didn't test the old 4 banger phone jacks here and there which probably account for the 8 open panel drops unless they go to the 66 block breeding area. That leaves 3 in use drops unaccounted for that I'll have to backtrace the old school way with a toner, and a couple of surface mounts that probably are disconnected somewhere. That tracer has paid for itself in a part of one job. Outstanding!

I don't normally take / share photos, but I stripped metadata and blurred out any identifiable info so y'all can feel some of the pain LOL!
View attachment 518090
View attachment 518091
View attachment 518092
Just cut all that wire and start over.

·
Registered
Residential Framing, Post Frame Buildings, Garages
1,295 Posts

View attachment 518090
View attachment 518091
View attachment 518092
TF were you doing in my home office without me knowing?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
44,714 Posts
I've had pretty vocal bosses before. It always seemed to be a test.

I'm pretty witty with humor. Has always worked well.

I once was a young Carpenter and was hired on the spot doing tilt-ups. The boss told me to go get some nails in my bags. I came back with a half a bag.

He brought me back to the nails and filled my bags to the brink!

There happened to be a tool store next door to the building we were doing.

He asked every Carpenter there for a handsaw. No one had one. He went next door and bought everyone a handsaw told us every Carpenter should have a handsaw. (Not in a pleasant way either lol).

He was strict, loud and to the point.

Later when he left I asked WTF was that?

The Company was very big and did masses amount of tilt-ups. They were called MQ Concrete Construction. Probably 100mil a year. This was in the 80's.

Well as it turned out he showed up to fire the superintendent and took over for the day. He was the M in MQ.
Pete Mineger. It explains why everyone kept their mouth shut and marched to his orders.

Most companies that size you may see the owner once the whole time you work their. This guy had bags on.

My point is, sometimes they will test you. You need to not cower and try to be a step ahead of his questions.

Grow a pair and don't fail the test.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
1,824 Posts

I once was a young Carpenter and was hired on the spot doing tilt-ups. The boss told me to go get some nails in my bags. I came back with a half a bag.

He asked every Carpenter there for a handsaw. No one had one. He went next door and bought everyone a handsaw told us every Carpenter should have a handsaw. (Not in a pleasant way either lol).

The Company was very big and did masses amount of tilt-ups. They were called MQ Concrete Construction. Probably 100mil a year. This was in the 80's.

Well as it turned out he showed up to fire the superintendent and took over for the day. He was the M in MQ.
Pete Mineger. It explains why everyone kept their mouth shut and marched to his orders.

Most companies that size you may see the owner once the whole time you work their. This guy had bags on.

My point is, sometimes they will test you. You need to not cower and try to be a step ahead of his questions.

Mike.
___
What a salty guy. That's awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts

Mike.
___
I just KNEW you were going to say you had to wear HIS bags and follow him around and THATS where you learned how to make a man a puppy.

I’m just jealous.

·
Super Moderator
30,057 Posts

Mike.
___
That's legendary stuff man. Awesome 👌

·
Registered
112 Posts
It all comes down to this: You will be tested every day. Often by a sub. Sometimes by your boss. Pass as many tests as you can and go on with your life.
just like I test subs.....not as a test, but with necessary questions. i.e. what ratings the nameplate on the AC Compressor give. SO MANY TIMES total fails. I will not wire any AC until I see the name plate or spec sheet myself now. Especially at the cost of wire today!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts