Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Homeowner removed wallpaper. And found out he should call a professional. Lucky me.
I've been a Zinsser Cover Stain user forever. Never failed me. But been wanting to try Gardz. It is a very cut up area, kitchen cabinets, and a lot of millwork and off angles and corner bead. Just my luck So, I covered all the floors and cabinets. Scraped all the walls. And rolled/brushed on the Gardz. It is very thin/watery. And clear. It was a little hard to see where I was at but had to look for the sheen to keep track. I was missing my oil Cover Stain at this point. Going back today to run the mud. I hope the quick set dries fast over it. Will bring fans to help the setting. Hoping to get all the mud work done today. Sand/sponge and clean up tomorrow. Fingers crossed. And wanted to mention. A couple small walls that he never sprayed the Dif on were as smooth as a babys ass. :whistling

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
How did you get the job if he had to call a pro?:laughing:

For damaged drywall from wallpaper removal I'd use Garz rather than cover stain any day. Depending on what color you're rolling over it can sometimes be hard to see. But a painter should always keep track of what area he's covered and hasn't there's just too many times we can't see s**t.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gardz did work. And I will use it again when fumes are an issue.

But I was missing my Cover Stain the whole time I was skimming yesterday. I think the mud ''grabs'' it better because it dries flat.

Tight skim/touch up and light sand today. This has been one of the harder skim jobs I have done in a long time. It's soooo cut up.

Avenge, thanks for your feedback. But telling someone that Gardz is better than oil is not right. They are both good products and seal the problem walls.

Now for clean up............It sure was nice to just wash with soap and water..........Can't do that with oil. Gardz wins that one.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Gardz did work. And I will use it again when fumes are an issue.

But I was missing my Cover Stain the whole time I was skimming yesterday. I think the mud ''grabs'' it better because it dries flat.

Tight skim/touch up and light sand today. This has been one of the harder skim jobs I have done in a long time. It's soooo cut up.

Avenge, thanks for your feedback. But telling someone that Gardz is better than oil is not right. They are both good products and seal the problem walls.

Now for clean up............It sure was nice to just wash with soap and water..........Can't do that with oil. Gardz wins that one.
I was referring to water based Problock not oil. Problock both oil and water base is some of the best primers I've used. Cover stain is definitely not one of my favorite oil based primers. Gardz does an excellent job at holding down damaged drywall. If all I have is damaged, unpainted drywall and 2 finish coats will cover and my 2 choices are Gardz and Cover Stain, I choose Gardz. I have more situations where I use oil base over Gardz but it's not gonna be Cover Stain.

If anyone is gonna argue about the benefits of oil over water base it would be me. I'm old school, worked with oil base everyday for 10 years. I usually try and skim coat then apply primer then skim coat again. Gardz definitely has it's drawbacks and so does oil base.

Mix a little white with it makes it easier to see where you've been.
Gardz does not recommend that. Don't know why, maybe it lowers the ability to do what it's supposed to do. I would assume that if it could be tinted they would state that or make it tinted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Gardz has its intended purpose and that is all it is really good for. It works great for sealing down drywall paper tears and sealing down wallpaper paste. But that is about all it does. I always wondered if it would seal calcimine but I never tried it. Has anyone ever tried sealing calcimine with it?

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
If I ever have to strip wallpaper again, I'm ripping out the drywall and hanging new board.

Wallpaper on plaster however...

...let's just say, I'll sub that out.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
I love Gardz when working with wallpaper removal. It's the only way to go for me.

And I would remove wallpaper and Gardz over replacing. I can have a room stripped with two guys in a day. We steam, scrape and Gardz. Ripping it out would take a whole lot longer and a whole lot more work and mess.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Like you I used this stuff for the first time about two mom this ago worked very well. Eggshell finish over it and looks great and is holding up. Like so done else suggested to me next time I'm going to add a little color just to make it easier to see and spot imperfections. And the low odor is awesome compared to oil primer.

·
Registered
Remodel
30,159 Posts
Gardz has its intended purpose and that is all it is really good for. It works great for sealing down drywall paper tears and sealing down wallpaper paste. But that is about all it does. I always wondered if it would seal calcimine but I never tried it. Has anyone ever tried sealing calcimine with it?
Gets rid of flashing on new drywall, gives better adhesion on new drywall than most drywall primers, seals porous existing paint so you can keep a wet edge easier...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gardz is the best option, if there is residual wallpaper glue on the wall. Gardz Problem Surface Sealer is a unique water-base sealer, and it is not too much expensive. You can use it for various purposes as damaged drywall, new drywall, spackling and joint compound skim coats etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts