Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hand driving nails to hold sheeting on the wall till I go back with the nail gun. Tack the nail and on the second swing with the nail shot back at me and left a deep nick in my safely glasses. Out of thousands of nails I have driven , I never had one come back at my body , much less my eye.

I think I might play the lottery tonight.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Nice!

I was going to put a string line on a concrete cut nail that the boss was about to drive into a slab to be taken out. He hit the nail just right and it came flying into my face and hit my lip and tooth at the same time. OOUCH!:blink:

I imagine I got lucky my lip caught the most of it because I would have bet it would have chipped my tooth.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have had many a roofing and framing nail flip off at the speed of light, never to be seen again. Only happens with smooth face hammers, for me. A few have hit me on or near the face.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
I had a 3-4Lb steel splitting wedge bounce out of a piece of wood and smash my shin a couple weeks ago while cutting firewood. Of course the corner of the sharp end hits me.

·
Super Moderator
28,889 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,922 Posts
I once stood a 16 sinker on its head on a friends work bench. I forgot it was there and slapped my hand down laughing and the nail went through my hand and out the other side. I though my buddies wife was going to throw up when she saw me pull it out. Fortunately it missed all the goodies in my hand and it healed fine. Needless to say I was pretty drunk. It was back when I was known to have a nip or two.

·
Super Moderator
28,889 Posts
I once stood a 16 sinker on its head on a friends work bench. I forgot it was there and slapped my hand down laughing and the nail went through my hand and out the other side. I though my buddies wife was going to throw up when she saw me pull it out. Fortunately it missed all the goodies in my hand and it healed fine. Needless to say I was pretty drunk. It was back when I was known to have a nip or two.
A beer never hurts until you play with guns or tools.

·
Registered
12,855 Posts
We had a guy who hit himself in the junk with a sledge hammer. He missed the stake and it came up and popped him. We were all laughing so hard we couldn't breath. Then we all tried to figure out how on earth he did it.

Wouldn't you know, 20 minutes later I figured it out. :censored:

·
Design/Build
641 Posts
Glad you were wearing your eye pro. That kinda stuff can happen anytime.

This didn't happen to me, but my employers dad only ever had one bad accident on any of his jobs. One of his guys was pulling a line reeeaaal tight and the nail the line was hooked on popped out, flew 30' across the top of the wall and caught him in the eye. He ended up losing it.

Since I heard that one I sink string line nails deep and wear glasses even for things that seem pretty safe otherwise.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I try to wear glasses all the time but its a hard habit to keep at it. Like wearing hearing protection. I grew up when no one ever wore either . Then I got into the carpenters union and it was all about safety . Still it requires effort to do it.

And the reason I put them on that morning was the saw dust kept blowing in my eyes. Then bam get clunked by a hand drive nail. Now I got a solid reminder to put them on every day.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,132 Posts
I've been hit by nails, but not in the face. One time swinging a sledge hammer driving a wedge (hitting it hard) a piece of steel spalled off and sliced through my arm.

·
Registered
818 Posts
They say it's a good idea to grind off any mushrooming

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,024 Posts
I've had a nail bounce back from a framing gun before. A couple feet away from my face too. If I hadn't been wearing safety glasses I probably would have lost an eye.

·
Registered
444 Posts
We had a fellow stand up and get hit in the eye by a piece of 24 gauge valley metal. Sharp corner hit him right in the eye. Would have lost it without the glasses.

·
GC/carpenter
43,922 Posts
If you build decks all day you wear sunglasses. I have a young guy who works for me. Walks around squinting all day and won't wear sunglasses. He will learn.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Make him wear them. I had trouble on a job guys wouldn't wear ear protection. I went up and asked if they could do me a favour. I tell them I have hearing loss. Enough that I can't hear my wife from another room. So then I pull out a pair of ear plugs and ask them to use them.

You could do the same with the sun glasses.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts