Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys...

I have been reading this forum for a long time... especially during my career transitioning... But it is not until now that I would like to ask something and see what the pros can advice me...

I have been working in the construction sector in Canada for the past two years... Before that I worked in the management field for a long time, for companies like BoA, T mobile, Sprint... and that was killing me, so when I moved from the States to Canada (from where my wife is from) I decided I did not want to go back to a cubicle... so I decided to venture myself into the construction field... WHICH I LOVE...

Anyway... now I am working as a Carpenter apprentice ( for the past two years now) and as is common in Canada, to be certified, you have to go to school for 4 terms... so I am halfway my first term at NAIT (they last 2 months each and are space a school year in between) I love the Industry... I really like talking to the more experienced guys and learn from them... some of them are afraid of sharing their knowledge... but most of them understand that it helps the industry...

I work commercial carpentry for the most past, and the company I work for is a general contractor... so Even though I do a lot of work around the site, I also spend a lot of time dealing with the sub-trades and figuring out material, and stuff like that...

so greetings from Edmonton Alberta

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Welcome!
I really like talking to the more experienced guys and learn from them... some of them are afraid of sharing their knowledge... but most of them understand that it helps the industry...
IMHO there are 2 sides to that- On one hand I am all for sharing everything that I know because if I ever have a problem that I can't solve, I can make a couple of phone calls and see if I can't get another perspective mind working on it.

But on the other hand, there are people who want to "learn" for self-serving motives..or they are impatient and just want to know enough to get themselves into trouble. e.g. They want to learn how to wire a 3-way switch by the colors without knowing all of the principles. Then when they have a catastrophic failure, they tell everyone else that you gave them bad info in an attempt to sabotage their efforts.
:)

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Welcome!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome!

But on the other hand, there are people who want to "learn" for self-serving motives..or they are impatient and just want to know enough to get themselves into trouble. e.g. They want to learn how to wire a 3-way switch by the colors without knowing all of the principles. Then when they have a catastrophic failure, they tell everyone else that you gave them bad info in an attempt to sabotage their efforts.
:)
Well... You are completely right in that way... I had never seen it from that perspective..

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,014 Posts
Welcome! NAIT is pretty decent, I'm headed there in March for my second year. Bert and David are excellent instructors and extremely knowledgeable. Bert is pretty old school, hopefully you have him for shop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi My NAIT brother!!! Bert is actually my math teacher, Tony ( I guess he just started this Sep) is my shop teacher, Mike is my Theory teacher and Brie is my BP reading teacher...

So as soon as I leave you will come next huh??? Good luck

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,014 Posts
I remember Bert saying he was going to be hard on apprentices if he got his transfer to math, with my luck I'll probably have him for math this March. :laughing: I had Brie last year for BP reading as well. Ask her about having to dig out an upside down keyway when pouring footings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts