Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helping a retired neighbor install his metal roof soon. I was wondering how to get panel up there! He suggested sliding them up the side using a pvc roller, but I'm concerned about the weight once it reaches the fulcrum point (panels are 25 feet long)
What is the standard way of getting the panels up there? We won't have access to a crane or any other lift, just some ladders, a scaffold, and some neighbors. (unfortunately, I'll be one of the youngest, and consequently one of the guys balancing up there on the open trusses.
Any ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How high off the ground is the rafter tails? I just did a metal roof on a 30x40 garage and the rafter tails were 10ft high. The sheetmetal length was 18 feet. The sheets were quite heavy, so I can just imagine what they must weigh if they are 25 feet. Ugh!!

I had 2 helpers that slid the panels up the trusses to me and I held on to and pulled them into position. One helper was on a ladder at the lower edge after sliding the panel up and he had a cheater board along the fascia to maintain proper overhang. I would then begin screwing the screws to the purlins.

I'm not a professional roofer, but that method worked well for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
WE REGULARLY HANLE SHEETS UP TO 36' LONG 29 GA. AND HAVE INSTALLED PANELS UP TO 46'. THE BIGGEST VARIABLE IS THE ROOF PITCH, THE DISTANCE FROM THE GROUND, AND HOW MUCH ROOM YOU HAVE FROM THE BUILDING TO AN OBSTRUCTION. IF YOU HAVE A VISE GRIPS, HAVE SOMEONE WELD A 2" DIA RING ON TO THE BOLT THAT ADJUSTS THE GRIP. THEN TIE A ROPE INTO THAT RING, AND HAVE THE PERSON ON THE ROOF PULL ON THE ROPE PULLING UP THE END OF THE PANEL.

WHAT ALSO WORKS GOOD ON LONG PANELS YOU ARE AFRAID OF BENDING IS TO MAKE TWO OF THESE CLAMPS AND PUT ONE, 6-8' IN FROM EACH END AND HAVE TWO PEOPLE PULL THE PANEL UP AT THE SAME TIME. :Thumbs: HOPE THIS HELPS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts