Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Contractor
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
test case is my own house...learn on my own dime.

I'll be installing a random width (4/6/8) oak and will sand and finish. Looking for a light color-don't really wnat to darken it up-something with character would be nice. Wouild anyone be kind enough to get me started on a good product to finish with (high traffic area). If there is soemthing that can be touched up in the future w/o stripping, that would be optimal.

any advice on installing the floor on a diagonal for asthetic reasons? Might as well try something fancy since I'm not charging for overages :thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
How about just leave it natural and clear coat it with Bona? Easy touch ups or re-do's later on. The clear coat will darken the oak to a light Amber color. Clean with mineral spirits after sanding and then seal everything off for a dust free environment. Even a running furnace can kick up dust into the area so turn it off. Use booties over your shoes or better yet no shoes at all, but cotton socks can leave lint so wear nylon socks. Just a few tips.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with the other fellow! If you seal it, it should change the colour slightly. What ever you do, DO NOT get any water drips on the floor before sealing it. It opens the pours up and will show when you seal it. Make sure it's good and dry! I made this mistake once and it caused me nothing but trouble.

Colin
www.covefinishings.com

·
The Finisher
1,396 Posts
test case is my own house...learn on my own dime.

I'll be installing a random width (4/6/8) oak and will sand and finish. Looking for a light color-don't really wnat to darken it up-something with character would be nice. Wouild anyone be kind enough to get me started on a good product to finish with (high traffic area). If there is soemthing that can be touched up in the future w/o stripping, that would be optimal.

any advice on installing the floor on a diagonal for asthetic reasons? Might as well try something fancy since I'm not charging for overages :thumbsup:
Random width boards are nice. If you want character/variations in your floor you'll have to order a lower grade flooring like #1 common red oak, or #2 builders grade, the stain will help enhance it.

Running the boards at a 45 degree angle is nice, it's just much more work.

Here is a pic of a 3-1/4 x 3/4 #1 common red oak floor installed on a diagonal I did recently. The stain was Puritan Pine from Bona Kemi, with 2 coats of oil based finish.

Staten Island wood floors

1 - 4 of 4 Posts