Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the first snowfall last night here in Toronto, very minor but still snow on ground and roofs, when are you guys ( who work outdoors) planning calling it a year, I gotta couple more block additions to do then that's it, time to break out the curing blankets then can catch up on my own homes needs.

·
Smarter than the brick...
298 Posts
We got our first snow today also but we won't be shutting down, have a new house to start tomorrow if the brick got there. We'll tent some of it if we are forecasted to have a long string of below freezing days.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Im spending money per day and pushing my snowplowing through the roof right now. Up to 30 customers so far.

Money never sleeps pal.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,585 Posts
A good plow route can have ~100 drives, $25-35 per drive per plow, 2X plow over 6 inches, and it's serious money. Pounds out the truck suspensions, though. And that whole salt, sand blast the underside thing:whistling

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
A good plow route can have ~100 drives, $25-35 per drive per plow, 2X plow over 6 inches, and it's serious money. Pounds out the truck suspensions, though. And that whole salt, sand blast the underside thing:whistling
My truck is paid for, Im ok with making 3k per storm if I need to replace the shocks every 2 years :thumbup:

·
Registered
405 Posts
one job tented, pushing the plow route like crazy too! 35 accounts so far could be a good year. I do hate plowing though. we have the cold already but only one day of flurries.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,585 Posts
Imagine sugar white sand all over (sort of like Destin used to be), except it's light and it melts.

Oh, yeah, and it falls out of the sky:eek:

·
Registered
Remodel
29,585 Posts
one job tented, pushing the plow route like crazy too! 35 accounts so far could be a good year. I do hate plowing though. we have the cold already but only one day of flurries.
Stay between the ditches and with the crappy winter that's predicted, you should be golden.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,585 Posts
My truck is paid for, Im ok with making 3k per storm if I need to replace the shocks every 2 years :thumbup:
You must be hoping for a 10 storm year, so you can afford to change shocks every year.:whistling

·
Registered
818 Posts
30,000 for shocks?

Reactions: JBM

·
Registered
Remodel
29,585 Posts
30,000 for shocks?
They're really good shocks:whistling

I'm not serious about the maintenance part. It's tough on the transmission and all the front end, but those are things you just make sure are ready during the off season. The people I know that plow a lot usually have a back up plow truck that will get them through a bad storm if they need it, whether it's from something breaking or they went off the road and it needs some fixing before it can be used again.

A good route can make a lot of money, but it usually takes some years to build up to having a really good route.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I change my pump fluid and tranny fluid every year. Its amazing how doing that makes them last much longer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts