Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I'm building my first home. All the roughs of the blueprints are all done, and I want to start in a couple months. I just wanted to ask if anyone had any tipe/suggestions? Any codes I might be overlooking? Also, I still haven't decided wether I want to go with metal or wood for the framing. Are there any good techniques for using both? And can anyone suggest types of metal; I'm used to working with wood.

This is my first house from start to finish, though I've done more than I can count in the past, I haven't been there for the whole thing, and I wasn't in charge.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks a lot in advance!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Think about: People who have little experience with metal seem to poo poo it, and people with lots of experience with it would never go back to wood. What does that mean? I don't know, just thought I would muddy things as best I can for you!

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
If the builders and subs in your area aren't used to working with the metal framing material (and the associated special considerations), your prices will skyrocket. If this is a traditional material to work with in your area, and the subs are used to working on metal framed projects, then this may not be an issue. I privately wonder (considering the current prices of steel) if this can be cost effective framing material for residential work? Obviously, in rated construction, you often don't have the choice. For a dwelling you do. I just thought I'd get you thinking of price now, since a recent project I was on comes to mind. The owners ran out of money due to so much fancy framing and mechanicals. Now they're living in a house with no trim, carpet, paint, cabinets, or interior doors (among other things).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts