Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure a lot of you guys this would be childs play:laughing: It was the first handrail I have ever done though. After I finished it I thought maybe I should have spaced the ballusters to have the same number on each step, oh well thats for the next one. The customer was real happy with it.

This is a new house, a guy bought 92 acres and built a house for him and his wife and a house for his daughter and her husband. I just trimmed both houses, did the decks/ porches, and all the punchlist stuff. I should have probly taken some pics of the trim, but it was just your standard trims nothing to fancy.

Dave

·
Registered
539 Posts
Good work for your first one, Dave. Handrails can be tricky. And you already mentioned the obvious...the baluster spacing. But hey, as long as they meet code and the client is happy, who cares (though it does look like the spacing arond the volute gets a bit wide.) You'll get it on the next one. Then of course there will be something else and a different situation, but that's what makes them fun :)

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I kinda like the 3-2-3 layout. 3 on each tread would be too much in my opinion. Looks very nice.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
I think it looks great!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

Shawn, thats funny you say that I thought the same thing after I installed those and looked at them. I layed them out with a compass, checked and rechecked and they measure the same as the others. Maybe its becauae they are rotated, like I said I stared at that for a while:laughing:

Warner, my thoughts exactly:laughing:, they weren't gonna put a runner in, but they were worried about falling or something is what the HO said. Those oak treads looked so nice.

Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
It looks good, though the spacing does look larger at the bottom in the picture at least.

(For the next time), did you know the spacing on angle rails will not match rails that are straight. For instance, going up the stairs, usually the spacing is somewhere around 5 inches on center to give you less than 4 inches between spindles. However, on a straight rail (no incline), the spacing is generally 4 inches on center to give you less than 4 inches inbetween spindles. Not sure exactly how to explain why this happens.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys!

(For the next time), did you know the spacing on angle rails will not match rails that are straight. For instance, going up the stairs, usually the spacing is somewhere around 5 inches on center to give you less than 4 inches between spindles. However, on a straight rail (no incline), the spacing is generally 4 inches on center to give you less than 4 inches inbetween spindles. Not sure exactly how to explain why this happens.

Thats funny you say that, the top number was 5" when measured on the angle.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
It looks good, though the spacing does look larger at the bottom in the picture at least.

:blink:

Maybe I am missing something, but the OC spacing should be the same...if you measure horizonally, not with the slope of the stairs....

To figure out what the layout on the banister is you simply multiply the OC spacing you have been using by the slope factor of the stairs. The slope factor is the rise divided by the run....IIRC. I use my Construction Master Calc now for all that so I kinda forget a lil.

EDIT: nevermind...i skipped a part in the O.P.

·
chief pencil holder
1,605 Posts
Nice rail, I miss those volutes, they outlawed them in Cali, need to use the curved arm now in most counties, $25 vs. $185 sucks though. and nothing wrong with the spacing my old boss used to call it the abc spacing didn’t know why but I still refer to it as such, with our scroll bal you don’t have a choice but to use it. And on short treads sub 10" it looks best.

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Nice rail, I miss those volutes, they outlawed them in Cali, need to use the curved arm now in most counties, $25 vs. $185 sucks though. and nothing wrong with the spacing my old boss used to call it the abc spacing didn’t know why but I still refer to it as such, with our scroll bal you don’t have a choice but to use it. And on short treads sub 10" it looks best.

I used to work for a stair company out of Modesto, CA in 05-06 and they were still legal than. I worked on stairs all over in your neck of the woods. Lincoln, West Sac., Folsom, Elk Grove... When did they outlaw volutes?

·
chief pencil holder
1,605 Posts
volutes are still legal, but they need to curve all the way around, sometimes called a drop arm volute, they won’t allow us to rise on the first tread anymore. The traditional volutes will give you a rail height of 40"-41" on the first tread because they level off, then buy the second tread you are at a respectable height 34"-35", the curved arm will keep the volute under 38", even with a steep rake, you can buy them in low med and high allowing you to match the pitch of the rake. But they are a lot more expensive than a traditional volute.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well Dave I think you did a nice job given what you had to work with.

As you said you came in late to the game.

I always say a house should be designed from the center line of the hand rail out in all directions other wise it will be comprised.

It appears that who ever called out the framed stair well opening had never finished off a finished stair case or even given it much thought.

Your work looks great and I bet you learned more about all the details that go into making a really nice looking stair case than if you had been given something that was designed and brought to the point of finish properly.

That starter step just doesn't look right with how narrow the upper part of the stair case is. Again it looks like it was not fully thought out in the design stage. I am sure you will jump at the opportunity to do your next one and hopefully you will get in the game earlier

1 - 20 of 21 Posts