Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing special. But I decided I had to step out of my comfort zone. You cant expand by being comfortable.

I did however, take the opportunity to experiment.

Outside temp 65 degrees, wind blowing 10- 30mph gusts with occasional short breaks.

Perfect for spraying. I rolled using 1 1/4 inch nap 18" roller. Edged using a graco 390 w/517 tip. I kept the sprayer loaded & on standby for when the wind died down.

Afterwards, walked the block to check for overspray. None at all. Overall I would rate it succesful.

Property Brickwork Wall Home Land lot

Property Home Real estate Building House

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nothing special. But I decided I had to step out of my comfort zone. You cant expand by being comfortable.

I did however, take the opportunity to experiment.

Outside temp 65 degrees, wind blowing 10- 30mph gusts with occasional short breaks.

Perfect for spraying. I rolled using 1 1/4 inch nap 18" roller. Edged using a graco 390 w/517 tip. I kept the sprayer loaded & on standby for when the wind died down.

Afterwards, walked the block to check for overspray. None at all. Overall I would rate it succesful.

View attachment 111882

View attachment 111883
Nice works your really touched it up... from ashy to classy

here are some of the job I have done.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You just cant ignore the big bucks of exteriors. I found that by dialing in my pressure I was truly capable of spraying in 10-15mph winds without worry.

Sometimes you gotta jump on an opportunity to learn new things.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You just cant ignore the big bucks of exteriors. I found that by dialing in my pressure I was truly capable of spraying in 10-15mph winds without worry.

Sometimes you gotta jump on an opportunity to learn new things.
100% Correct. Exteriors is what pays the most $$$. Because nobody wants to work outside and climb up and down ladders all day. Its a tough job.

MOST EXCELLENT on trying something new. Most people are too skurd to attempt anything at all. That's why they are stuck in office cubicles 10 hours a day.

The worst that can happen is you FAIL. Get back up and TRY again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, eventhough the company I work for does all types of painting from industrial coatings to residential interior repaints we make most of our money on residential exteriors. Definitely the tougher side of painting but I came up working for a small new residential/remodeling contractor so setting ladders & painting all day seems easy compared to some of the other work I've done.

I have to say it definitely weeds out the real painters vs the people who think painting will be an easy paycheck. Every year we chew up & spit out quite a few guys during our res exterior runs in the summer. But those who stick around usually end up being great workers.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Nice work I work alone I use to work with a crew of 10 guys we had our good painters and we had a few guys who were slobs got paint everywhere, but we all got along worked great together one summer we did 35 residential exteriors and a 180,000 sqft factory and a factory complex of three buildings which each one was 225,000 sqft but we did bring in the 8 Mexicans for those. We did it over the three day weekend Memorial Day.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Driftweed, I'm not a painter, just asking.

Was the risk of overpay worth the reward? The job didn't look that big.

I have sprayed and I've heard a lot of horror stories about spraying outside.

My insurance agent handled a case of a painter spraying a roller coaster - overspryed the parking lot and the cars in it. Huge mess.

I love the idea of sprayers but hate the idea of collateral damage.

But like I said, I'm not a painter by trade. I own a Graco sprayer and have used it a few times - inside.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jp: This small job was perfect for experimenting with sprayer settings. It was small enough, that during wind gusts i could easily roll it out.

This complex has 23 buildings. One end is single story (as shown) & the other end is two story.

Before I tackled the bigger ends, I decided to use a smaller one to figure out the fastest way to do it. You do not want to willingly put a 1 1/4" nap 18" roller on a 16' pole. It weighs an effing ton and will wear you out fast.

I found that by turning the pressure knob 1/4 turn from zero & using a 517 tip worked great in low wind situations. This is because having the pressure that low you are barely atomizing the paint. Less atomization =less overspray.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We are here to learn my man. Oh, I would vote that whenever possible, pressure wash the graffiti off brick exteriors if possible. i just don't have a pressure washer, so decided to go ahead and paint it and learn.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's on the list, trust me. I got an employee to pay for at the time, so for the rest of summer until he gets fully trained he is bleeding me dry. Trying to get hands off, haha. So far he's only missed 3 days in the month he has worked for me...

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
It's so weird hearing that.

I say it all the time: if I was younger, still living at home I'd work practically for free just to learn the trades. I'd be the first guy there and the last guy to leave with my goal being to take over your job.

I'd have to be really sick to miss a day. The knowledge gained from an experienced tradesmen is priceless. Just my opinion.

Either that, college or be a pro athlete. You need to find a way to support yourself and your family.

Or marry rich.

I love my job. I really do. I love the challenges, the solutions, meeting new people. I really wish I was fortunate enough to do this for free. I really would. I love doing windows one day, doors the next, fencing the day after, etc., etc., etc.

I haven't made the leap to additions yet, but maybe one day. A friend of mine (builder) says the only difference is your at the site longer. lol

BTW, there's a whole web site about pressure washers. It may even be www.pressurewashers.com. Very informative.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts