Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After using off brand Hvlp Conversion guns for the past 10 years I finally bought a brand name one. I did so mostly for for the DeKups system.

First off, the cup system is awesome. The disposable liners are great but what is even better is the fact that you can put a plug in the cup and set it aside storing the materials right in it. No more cleaning Cup after Cup when only needing to finish something small. Just grab the cup with the material in it off the shelf, put on gun, spray. Move to next step by just pulling the cup off, plugging it, rinse gun out with solvent (water in my case), grab second Cup with next step material in it and spray. It even sprays upside down which is huge for me.

The gun also blows the doors off my others. Sprays nicer and faster. Uses more air so I will need to grab my 30 gallon 2 hp and swap it with the 12 gallon 1 hp I have been using.

The gun is a DeVilbiss Finishline FLG4 for waterborne paints...If this sprays this well I wonder what the Techna sprays like?

ForumRunner_20140114_101710.jpg

ForumRunner_20140114_101722.jpg

ForumRunner_20140114_101743.jpg

ForumRunner_20140114_101751.jpg

ForumRunner_20140114_101904.jpg

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Nice. :thumbup:

I use a devilbiss siphon gun. Think I paid like $350 for it. I'm surprised how affordable that gun is. I like the cup system too. That would be super nice.

·
Registered
12,917 Posts
Get a few of restaurant style condiment squeeze bottles. They are great for flushing the gun.

Cut tip so it fits the inside of the cup mount snugly, fill with solvent, insert into mount, pull trigger on gun, squeeze bottle, it will flush the gun with it being connected to the air compressor.

I use the 3M PPS system on my Fuji gun, the strainers are built into the liner lids.

Tom

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
It's definitely a long term investment. Starting at about $2k. If you do alot of finishing, it may be worth it. If it is once or twice a year, probably not. I had one large job come up that was on a tight 2 week timeline from start of contract. I said "in order for me to make that, I need this" and I had to add the cost of the unit in with the contract.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's definitely a long term investment. Starting at about $2k. If you do alot of finishing, it may be worth it. If it is once or twice a year, probably not. I had one large job come up that was on a tight 2 week timeline from start of contract. I said "in order for me to make that, I need this" and I had to add the cost of the unit in with the contract.
I hear that. Right now the size of projects we work on don't dictate an AAA setup. One thing I I would like to step up to first would be bea nice shaper, then I would like a larger shop. We are just under 600 Sq feet currently and it gets small quick. I would like to upgrade to about 1200.

That all takes more shop work coming in thought. We are trying to posture ourselves away from general carpentry and more into into the custom woodworking/Finish carpentry/custom cabs. I just started reaching out to local interior designers and general contractors to let them know we exsist. If all pans out one day I will have that AAA and a booth or whatever else is top dog at the time.

But right now it's HVLP and some hand rubbing to remove dust nibs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts