Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been rather fortunate in my short career not to have had to fire a sub. My luck's run out. How do I handle this? :(

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
1) clear throat thoroughly
2) look sub directly in eye... :eek: ...like that
3) "ahem" once more...."you're fired!!*" (use as much or as little volume as the situation calls for)

* for a more PC approach you could replace the phrase "you're fired" with "we no longer require your services"...it's up to you really :)

But seriously Suburban, it sux to have to do that, but sometimes ya just don't have a choice. If you know in your own mind that you gave him every possible chance, and he still didn't get the message, then you should be able to let him go with a clear conscience. If you don't, he's going to take you down with him.

There's other work out there. Maybe you two just didn't jive. It happens. Maybe he and the next guy will. Pay up what you owe and wish him well.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Is letting them finish the current job and then never using them again among the possibilities? Another option is to start nit-picking them to death, and then giving them the option to walk if they choose. The possibilities are endless, depending on your temperment.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
"Things just aren't working out the way I planned on this job, - - I'm going to have to make some changes. Let me get you paid up to date, - - no sense holding you up, too".

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
You don't really "fire" a sub, though I use the same term myself. Here is how I fire them... I just stop sending them work orders. They get the message.

If they call me looking for work or asking why I haven't sent any then I explain the situation. Also you should know I am an advocate of second chances. I am also hard core when it comes to defining my expectations and limits upfront.

Having said that, the first time they mess up, unless it's major, I give em a second chance... and explain I can't have my sites run the way they ran 'em. Then the second time they mess up I stop sending work orders. If they ask why, it's easy for me to say "Remember when we spoke about..."

The last sub I fired was easy, and even after I fired him and told him he was fired he still asks me for work. Hmmm how hard is this to understand? "You are making mistakes on every job and each one of your mistakes is costing me major money or tarnishing my reputation. I don't have time to deal with your headaches."

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Tell your story walking you no good s.o.b. Hey if the man is messing with your rep. he has to go. :Thumbs:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
If it was me, I would want a lein release signed by him for the benefit of my customer and additionally I would want a signature under a paragraph on the final invoice stating he was paid in full for all work completed to date.

If you can get that out of him you probably handled dismissing from the job correctly.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Ahh if it is in the middle of a job then I do think that changes everything. I did fire one sub mid-job.

I told him. "Don't come back to the job site. You told me you knew what you were doing and it is obvious you do not. I will fix what you have done and finish myself."

He then asked for payment and I told him "When I am done I will subtract my hours and the extra material it takes from your payment, but I am not paying you until I am done."

·
Registered
114 Posts
all excellent submissions guys. i personally before i hire a sub, not only get refs., but give a statement in writing, of what my expectations are and what the penalties are for non-compliance. it also states that by signing this document he agrees that if he is released before project completion, for any reason, he waives any and all leins and/or levies against the customer.it has held up in court.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Always pay what is not disputed then go from there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts