Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought a house and looking to take out the gas fireplace and install a wood burning fireplace insert with a metal chimney , but I want to wrap it with block and brick so my question is how thick of a concrete slab should I pour and how should I tie this in to the existing foundation.
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So your tell me a 3.5" slab will support a 22' chimney I'm not buying it I was thinking about going 4' thick and ting it in with # 6 rebar with a 20 degree pitch up ward using hilti 500 epoxy securing the rebar or is that over kill.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
So your tell me a 3.5" slab will support a 22' chimney I'm not buying it I was thinking about going 4' thick and ting it in with # 6 rebar with a 20 degree pitch up ward using hilti 500 epoxy securing the rebar or is that over kill.
You really arn't getting it that's for sure...

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Mecum, New guys always get toyed with, especially if we see the slightest Homeowner tinge.

The forum here likes you to do an proper intro prior to firing away with questions so we may get an idea of your occupation and skill level.

Bare with us till we figure this out....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No your not confusing me and If I would stud it I put cultured stone up but what I want is a good 2 to 3 hour fire rating between the house and the stack and I already have the C.M.U and the brick left over from a big job last summer.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts