Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a guide that recommends the correct fireplace opening to suit room size or firebox size e.g if the opening is x" high does it have to a certain x" wide by x" depth.
I am located in Ontario Canada, not sure if that makes a difference or not to charts.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Its up to the builder/designer to pick the right sized chimney. If its a rumford it can have equal height X width, our standard fireplaces are 36"x28-30"

Once you cross over to larger then 6' chimney size then you have options for firebox size to a larger degree.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Most masonry textbooks have different charts. They start with the width and give the rest of the sizes as a ratio of that. I mean you CAN just build a box with a chimney on top but if you want a FP that will draw well, not smoke, and throw some heat then it should be designed properly.

If you can't find any let me know and I'll post some ratios later tonight

(BTW, JBM. I was out to see that rumford a couple weeks ago and they weren't standing the logs up at all. Apparently it only smoked for 15-20 secs when first lit, Since I showed them how to light it it's stopped smoking. They were also burning unseasoned pine.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts