Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back story. Finishing bath remodel down to plumbing trim last thing to be done next to towel bars and TP holder.

Boss calls this morning asked if I'm there yet plumbers on his way to finish up. I'm to meet the HO to pick locations for the accesories. I open the bathroom door and find Chit every where. I've got to clean the room before I can ask the HO to step in to pick locations.

Pedestal mount sink and drywall dust all over the new tile floor. I get down to wipe it up to find the toggle bolts to be hidden behind the sink. Guy mounted the the faucet stem first so he couldn't get to the mounting holes in the back of thte sink to afix it to the wall. So how did he attach it to the wall. He caulked it to the wall and used Gorilla glue on the back of the sink. :eek: Are you F'n kidding me. NO! Then while wipping out the sink I noticed the faucet. What wrong with this picture.

Now lets talk about the toilet. 20" supply line with a big azz loop in it. What you couldn't get a 12" and make a straight run?

Now the tub. So the guy roughs in the shower valve but fails to examine the the whole set up. He comes out of the valve body for the tub filler with 1/2" copper to a 90 with a copper rough in stub sticking out of the wall. Well the filler spout needs a male threaded nipple. Not a 1/2" copper pipe. We now have a finished tile wall. So how do you fix that Einstein.

Plumber rolls up and walks into the bathroom and says "good morning"
Me "you think so?"
Me "so do you have a fix for the tub filler?"
Plumber "well we may have to cut a hole in the wall in the other room"
Me "so what's up with this mess?"
Plumber "I was here late last night"
Me "you couldn't clean up?"
Plumber "I'm not done yet"
Me "Oh yes you are!"
Plumber "what do you mean?" :blink:
Me "I mean pack your Chit your done" :thumbup:

About then the boss shows up to see the disaster and FLIPS OUT. "What the hell is this. Miss matched angle stops. We had 3 new ones on site. He some how broke 2 of them :whistling.Trash all over the garage. "Get the hell off my jobsite". My boss yells.

Attachments

·
Mad Italian
2,567 Posts
I've got a Roofers card too that means I can do anything right? :thumbup:
You kiddin me?! I know how to do electrical...just gotta make sure to line up negative to positive and postivei to negative...if I see ground,just glue it to subfloor.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,047 Posts
Well, that is too bad. But at least it seems that the project is salvagable. You won't lose a client over it. And second, with construction the way it is right now, I would think there might be some true craftsmen out there, who would love the opportunity to do some quality work for you. Good luck.

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
I love the Plumbing company that I use on occasion for heating etc... I get along great with the owner and if he's not doing the work he will bring one of his emplyees but he will not take his eyes away from him at all... The one day he just sat on the toilet making sure everything was done perfectly because he's an ex marine but also knows how anal I am when it comes to finish work

·
Hair Splitter
18,322 Posts
Sorry to hear about the headache. I hate it when a guy is either burned out or not in the right field. They just want to get done and get out.

Don't get me wrong, I have been there, looking at the project, 11pm, been up since 5am, hadn't eaten in 10 hours, haven't seen the family in two weeks, and now I just found out I spent the last three hours installing that "thingamajig" wrong. It's gonna take an hour to unassemble and another three hours to get back together the right way...should I say F' it and rig it as is, or do I do it right.

That being said, I do it right. Even if it means that I eat 5 hours and $3,000. Which I had to do on a deck this Summer. Made nothing on the project, but guess what? I am remodeling her Laundry room, family room and start on the Kitchen the first of the year. Right is right and should always put you in a better position when all is said and done.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I'm sorry for you troubles too.

I think everyone who is in this business had things go less than ideal. I think the place that everything goes perfectly as planned anything involving Mike Holmes and any DIY show on tv.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

About 20 years ago, I was assembling a rebuilt motor for a camaro with a friend of mine, Mike. Once done, we started it up to do the required engine break-in. Immediately I noticed white smoke pouring out of the exhaust. We quickly shut it down. As I went to ask Mike if he installed the head gaskets, he was holding the one from his side telling me he thinks he forgot something.:laughing::laughing: All worked, out, just added a few hours to the job. It was actually his car. He put over 100k mile on that motor.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That sucks.... That's why I'm great-full for coming in to the business young and on the job. While doing my own trade I would pay attention when I had time to learn the other trades I could. This came in handy when I started doing bathrooms and kitchens. I have good friends that are plumbers and have taught me to do the light plumbing for my own jobs. I save thousands and I am sure that there will be no problems later. ( as I am a perfectionist, yes it's annoying sometimes) it might take me a little longer to do the plumbing but it comes out the way I want it for the job I'm doing.
Happy holidays to all.

Plumbers creed-- your [email protected]&t is our bread and butter!

·
Super Moderator
25,998 Posts
That such sucks.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Are you going to have to take off some tile now to fix the tub screw-up? sure sounds like that guy has cost you, in time and materials.

·
I'm on a boat!
3,178 Posts
Man that's rough. Glad you caught it when you did and best of luck getting everything squared away as it should be.

·
Registered
820 Posts
That is exactly why I hate to hire people to do stuff I can do better. Even though this guy is a "plumber", He is a lazy slob. A lot of people in construction are not all by any means but there are serveral who don't care about crap. I always get nervous to see someones work for the first time

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My father was a union Plumber/Pipefitter/Steamfitter (RIP) and I learned how to sweat and braze pipe at 14. I learned enough from him to keep me out of trouble. But when this guy pulled the tub filler from the box and it had a threaded end with a 1/2" copper rough in stub sticking out of the wall. My thought was Hummm how ya gonna fix this one.

But the cherry on top was the busted angle stops (2), the glued on sink and the scratches in the new tub. Oh and the hole in the living room entry I had to make to access the valve to sweat on a new fitting. Got it all done.

Being just 3 weeks working for a new GC trying to tread lightly and not wanting to rock the boat I just wasn't to sure till the boss blew his top. Got the boss to use my old plumber and he is actually a stand up professional :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts