Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
90%-er
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're taking care of a list of inspector-requested improvements to a rental unit on Thursday. His list (although in the worst possible handwriting) makes sense, but one thing I'm unfamiliar with:

He has requested fire stop walls to be constructed at both bathroom vanity drain/supply line penetrations, inside the cabinet.

I get the reasoning, but have never faced this request before. I will certainly give the inspector a call tomorrow before our supply run, but I thought I'd do some research here first.

Is there a specific material usually called for in these circumstances? Or do we just need an extra layer of 3/4 ply or the like around the penetrations, plus fire blocking foam at the actual holes?

I appreciate the assistance and insight fellas (and ladies).

·
General Contractor
8,080 Posts
We're taking care of a list of inspector-requested improvements to a rental unit on Thursday. His list (although in the worst possible handwriting) makes sense, but one thing I'm unfamiliar with:

He has requested fire stop walls to be constructed at both bathroom vanity drain/supply line penetrations, inside the cabinet.

I get the reasoning, but have never faced this request before. I will certainly give the inspector a call tomorrow before our supply run, but I thought I'd do some research here first.

Is there a specific material usually called for in these circumstances? Or do we just need an extra layer of 3/4 ply or the like around the penetrations, plus fire blocking foam at the actual holes?

I appreciate the assistance and insight fellas (and ladies).
That wall is probably adjoining the apartment next door is what it needs to be fire rated. You can use fire-rated foam or you can use Mineral Wool Insulation, for 1-5 HR rating. Just keep in mind that whole wall assembly should be fire-rated.
Best would be to call him and ask the specifics, because every case id different and municipalities have different requirements based on the situation.

·
90%-er
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks. I'm going to give the inspector a call on the way in.

He is also calling for fire blocking foam at the penetrations, so I think he's looking for something else in addition.

Yes, it is a multi-dwelling condominium building.

This particular city has some strong local building ordinances, so I'm sure the separating wall is up to standards; inspector is just calling for something additional inside the vanities.

Great Stuff makes a fire-blocking foam, right? I'm sure I've seen it but not registered it because it's never come up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great stuff makes it and you can get it at home depot and if he request actual insulation there is therma fiber its a compressed type of insulation its green and its a fire barrier, it is also not the hard to work with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts