Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Fire Sprinkler Business – Start-Up Opportunity?

12K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Seven-Delta-FortyOne 
#1 ·
I’m currently remodeling a kitchen in a house that has a fire suppression sprinkler system. In addition to needing one head relocated, my customer would like to change the heads (4 in the kitchen and 85 in the whole hose) from the ones that hang down from the ceiling to the ones that just show a flat disc on the ceiling. They would also like an annual maintenance agreement on the system.

I have probably called 20 companies and none of them want to do the work in the kitchen or the change-out for the whole house or offer an annual maintenance agreement. Seems like a perfect opportunity for a start-up.

Am I missing something here? I finally got a company to come out to do the 4 heads I needed done in the kitchen – it was like pulling teeth.

#3 ·
That’s what I see too. I think I would stay out of the new install side and focus on repair/reconfigure/maintain. Full service – cut up the ceiling, repair/replace/relocate the head, patch/texture drywall and repaint. Then offer an agreement to service the system – change leaking heads, charge the glycol in the system, test the pump… collect check!

Seems like a no brainer to me!

#9 ·
11,000 SF!

I don’t know what a “combo” is? And it dosn't matter - what's installed is installed and needs/wants service.

Do you have plumbing license .
I’m not sure how that has anything to do with it :rolleyes:

Checkout what the liability insurance will be.

State licensing?
Just costs of doing business :thumbsup:

#13 ·
I think that the main reason why sprinkler guys don't want to mess with residential houses is because of the frivolous and unnecessary callbacks. Any time there is a roof leak or if a toilet overflows, the HO thinks that there is a problem with the sprinkler.

The drywall gap around the sprinkler head is the path of least resistance so when people see water dripping from the head, naturally they call the sprinkler guy to fix it when there is nothing wrong.

#17 ·
I can see that happening, but I think I’d be willing to send someone out to investigate, tell them it’s not the sprinkler head that’s leaking and give them a bill for $200.

With the systems becoming the norm in residential, it seems that the demand for system remodel, repair and maintenance will only rise. Just thinking someone (maybe me) could get in on the front end of this and be established for future demand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.