Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I typically don't blast fire restoration jobs but took a job to 'get in good' with a large Disaster Restoration firm. Using soda for the wood, which works fantastic. Now, the company (that also does contract blasting) that sold myself the soda said they use Lyme for brick/stone fire restoration work - therefore sold me 15 bags of it. I received it and looked at the warning labels on the bags and it was covered in warnings about using it i.e. Silica etc.

Anyone out there use this stuff?

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
I have never used lime for blasting , but if I remember right it is able to eat away at your skin if left in place. Sounds nasty I would just throw it out. With the smoke damage, do you pretty much hit everything that is exposed to get rid of smell or black carbonized wood. I'd like to get some of that work too so I advertised in a directory which is for insurance agents. How much soda did you find it took to do an average wall?

·
Rick
86 Posts
Just Use Soda

Just use the Soda on the brick I've done 100's of jobs, literally, removing soot from fireplaces and the top course exterior brick to remove soot, shoot it, and rinse it no problem I use the armex brand and have yet to have a complaint.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok - found out it is fine. All the government agencies here have approved it and they are typically very stringent on what they use out there in the environment here in Ontario. Sorry - its crushed limestone.
It actually worked really well on both wood and brick - was pretty impressed.

I do like the soda though...worked really well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Co2 do you remember about how many pounds of soda you went through to do a regukar sized house like a couple thousand s.f. or so. And I guess they have torn out pretty much all of the dry wall first?
yeah - I did a century home and used a skid of soda and a about 8 extra bags - 58 - 50lb bags of soda. That was upstairs, main floor and a little bit of the basement...there was a learning curve so I'm sure I used more than I probably should have...lol.

This was walls, studs (taken out up stairs and some main floor gone as well) roof sheathing and joists and brick interior.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.