Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a client that wants to install a door from their 2nd story bedroom into the attached garage attic. The garage ceiling is fire rated drywall. I know code does not allow garage door directly into bedroom but since this is the attic and there is rated drywall I am wondering, if the door can be installed and meet code and if it needs to be fire rated. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I had tried to call before I posted but waited on hold for 15 minutes and thought maybe I would get faster help here. Hopefully everyone won't be as "busy" tomorrow.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Here in Ontario, any door coming from the garage to living quarters must have a gas proof door with a self closer. The garage walls and ceiling attached to the home must also be gas proofed which quite often is double drywall with staggered joints. I think in the last few years they have started allowing one layer of drywall with air barrier installed behind it. Not 100 percent sure about the air barrier one but it seems to me one we framed about two years ago was done this way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts