Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm going to look at a fire damage job tommorow. Sounds like some drywall will need replaced, a lot of smoke damage, etc.

Off the top of my head I was thinking of cleaning with tsp, then sealing it with SW Pro Block Alkyd Odorless (residents will be around during painting) then toppin it up with an acrylic topcoat....hopefully I can get them to go for duration. I figure the alkyd will provide good hide and flexibility, along with strong hold for the topcoat.

Just out of curiosity...how does everyone else handle fire damage, smoke, and soot? I get leary about using shellac based products over large areas like this one will be due to cracking. Input?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Insurance job. GravyTrain!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Not to throw down on our FD's but many times (IMHO) they go WAY beyond the requisites for combating a fire.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
I've seen that too many times Teetor. The house has $500 worth of actual fire damage, and $10000 worth of water damage. I know, and understand their job is to put the fire out, not to necessarily protect the house/structure/etc., but dayyyum...c'mon fellas..a little common sense goes a long way.

I've seen 2 hoses on a fire I coulda pi$$ed on a put out. :cheesygri

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ProWallGuy said:
Only thing I would ever use for smoke/fire damage is BIN.
BIN was the first thing that came to mind...wonder if the Zinsser's odorless would do well, you think? I know I'm going to run the homeowner's out, as they're home during the day.....

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
A few years ago I did a job where the guy had a stovetop fire and they cut a hole through the roof! A wet towel would have ended the thing. Instead of repairing 2 cabinets and covering up some smoke damage we ended up with a $19K remod.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
A few years ago I did a job where the guy had a stovetop fire and they cut a hole through the roof! A wet towel would have ended the thing. Instead of repairing 2 cabinets and covering up some smoke damage we ended up with a $19K remod.
Sounds like you should have sent the fire department a thank you note.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Anybody ever thought of hitting them up for leads?

I think that Bob is getting to me.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turns out, bathroom is thrashed. Candle fell off the toilet into waste pail, caught towels, and burnt bathroom to a crisp. Most of the sheetrock, the paper has burnt dang near clean off, so it will need replaced. The hallway outside bathroom's popcorn ceiling is toast, it'll need scraped, washed, primed, skimmed, etc...bathroom door and casing totally shot...The rest of the house isn't too bad, just sooted the walls.

I heard that one estimate before me came in at $1500 for the whole thing....we're talking a 1500+ sq ft. single story 3 br home too!! Oh, but that's minus materials. (get to that in a second) Another, $5,000 without replacing the bath tile and fixtures, and carpeting. I laughed when they said 1500 though, heh. I told them it'd take me two weeks on my own to clean the whole house down, demo bathroom, re-rock, remove popcorn, prime, re-skim, then prime and paint. The one that said 1500, said 4 days, lol!! I was thinking, wow.....4 days, I couldn't do that WITH help, but then, I couldn't even pay help for $1500, let alone pay myself. Oh, and I don't know which one, but one said they would just skim the bathroom walls over! :eek:

If that doesn't give you an idea of the kind of hacks we have in my neck of the woods, I don't know what will. I can guarantee getting this job is going to be an uphill battle.

About the materials. Customer wants a price with and without materials and for some odd reason, it didn't even strike me until I left that I never said NO! I have no idea where my head was......I'm not going to deal with a job where customer supplies materials though. It's not worth the trouble.

So, I may have wasted my time even looking, but I'll give them a price, and let them know at that time that if it has to materials supplied by them, I must decline the work.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Anybody ever thought of hitting them up for leads?
Hmmmm....I wonder how much it would be to put my logo on the cab of the ladder truck
:cool:

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
AAPaint said:
... if it has to materials supplied by them, I must decline the work.
Can I get an Amen! from the congregation...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts