Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short I hired a friend to finish the sheetrock in my basement(he said he new how to do it). He put the first coat on pretty good but he forgot the tape. Can this be fixxed?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
A professional drywaller could fix it. I have some limited experience in finishing and I don't think I could fix it. I don't think your friend can fix it. RT<P>

·
Registered
1 Posts
Precision said:
To make a long story short I hired a friend to finish the sheetrock in my basement(he said he new how to do it). He put the first coat on pretty good but he forgot the tape. Can this be fixxed?

it will be time consuming but you have to scrape it back as much as possible and re-tape it. It will be difficult to get the tape as flush as it would be if done right first time......it just means the butts will have to be fanned out more to hide the bow it will make.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
If it hasn't been too long, most of it can be removed with a damp sponge, then taped. Stop if the paper starts to pill.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If it's hardened up I'd sand and then retape.
he said he new how to do it)
infamous last words. But hey you gets what yous pays for. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
The tape is used to prevent the seams from cracking. Paper tape needs to bond with the paper on the sheetrock to work properly. You could sand down as much as posible and use fiberglass tape or even straight flex to try to prevent cracking. I'm still don't understand how a finisher could forget to tape?

·
Registered
12 Posts
BUILDER1 said:
The tape is used to prevent the seams from cracking. Paper tape needs to bond with the paper on the sheetrock to work properly. You could sand down as much as posible and use fiberglass tape or even straight flex to try to prevent cracking. I'm still don't understand how a finisher could forget to tape?

one word BEER while working...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts