Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tiling around a new drop in tub. HO wants solid mosaic around the tub wall about 18" high.

How do you finish your edges?

Any advice is appreciated. This is a new situation for me...

I'll post pics of the tile they want off my phone...

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
We usually try to do some sort of border. Something that would be thicker than the field tile. Or a bullnose tile.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Check out the Schluter aluminum tile edging--Home depot has a selection--many other colors and profiles are available at a large tile store.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Please say the tub deck is waterproof not just with durock. If not you are way ahead of yourself.

Schluter profiles will work nicely.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Please say the tub deck is waterproof not just with durock. If not you are way ahead of yourself.

Kerdi Membrane

What sucks is the drop in is 60" and I've got a little less than 63-1/2" between the tile after its installed. Gonna suck to try and caulk around that flange.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

Why would durock not suffice for a drop in tub?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Here's a rondec bullnose profile..,

A shade too light, but in natural light it blends better:confused:
Property Tile Room Product Floor

Property Tile Room Countertop Floor

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Why would durock not suffice for a drop in tub?
Because all wet areas should be waterproofed. A tub deck gets sufficient amounts of water to justify waterproofing.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Because all wet areas should be waterproofed. A tub deck gets sufficient amounts of water to justify waterproofing.
How much freaking water does a tub deck get, it's not a shower.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
How much freaking water does a tub deck get, it's not a shower.
It's not a shower? Shut up! :laughing:

Do you not have kids? Ever taken a bath with the Mrs or Mr (I'm not judging)? :whistling

I've pulled out enough tub decks with rot and or soft wood. Heck, I AD the plywood and then the durock. AD is cheap insurance.

I also AD the floor, especially around the shower and tub.

Bathtub Jacuzzi Floor Tile

Room Furniture Table

Wood Room Roof Siding Floor

Room Property Floor Building Furniture

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
So many options.....as mentioned above.

With a tub surround, depending on the decor and trim package in the bathroom, I often like to install a painted wood trim border.

Many times, I find it ties the surround very nicely into the rest of the bathroom.

Backprime, backpaint, backbutter (adhesive caulk) and caulk well at wall transition (although the "border" is generally high enough to avoid major water, unless you have especially rambunctious toddlers (or wives)) .

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
It's not a shower? Shut up! :laughing:

Do you not have kids? Ever taken a bath with the Mrs or Mr (I'm not judging)? :whistling

I've pulled out enough tub decks with rot and or soft wood. Heck, I AD the plywood and then the durock. AD is cheap insurance.

I also AD the floor, especially around the shower and tub.
Good point, junio starts swinging his rubber ducky around you best have a waterproof floor to go with it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts