Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at finishing a 2700 sq. ft. basement soon, new construction in IL, and I have a few questions.

1. Do I need a vapor barrier on the floors, walls?

2. Do I need to put insulation in?

3. Do I need to use a pressure treated sole plate for my walls, or put foam between the sole plate and concrete, or both?

4. There are several walls being run directly under a steel I-beam. Would construction adhesive (Liquid Nails) be enough to attach the top plate to the beam?

5. What other special considerations do I need to consider?

6. Are there any recommended online resources for finishing a basement?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance to all those who answer.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Anywhere steel or concrete touches wood, treated. Plastic under drywall helps keep mold and moisture in check. Firring strips with hard board foam in between over block and poured walls.

Steel to wood, I drill holes and use galv screws.

Pretty standard application.

Bob

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
orionkf said:
4. There are several walls being run directly under a steel I-beam. Would construction adhesive (Liquid Nails) be enough to attach the top plate to the beam?
You can use a Hilti PAT to shoot right into a steel beam or a lally column. Drilling would work but takes much longer.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
1. yes on the floor put some felt paper down this will absorb any moisture. Then put down the vapor barrier then the studs. Then get some of that insulation i dont know what its called its like styrofoam but with silver on both sides lay that in between the studs. a lot of guys here are going to say you don't need to but felt paper down and you don't but if you do you will have something to absorb any winter moisture. Walls Absolutely you need insultation seeing how your in illinois. 3. I like pressure treated. But i think that is a matter of oppion again. 4,5,6. Need to be answered by someone else on this board with years of experience. Finally owens corning makes a excellent start to finish basement remodeling kit. You might want to look into. I think they have a website.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Where I am PT is code required for wood in contact with cement floor. You don't need anything between the PT and cement - (that's why you are using PT right?)

I suggest you contact your local building dept and ask them these questions first then come back here with more specifics. Vapor barriors and insulation will most likely have code requirements also.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice, and ideas. I'm going to check local building codes, but at least I have an idea of what I'm getting into. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts