Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I've got a dilema. And I need someone's help! I placed a bid with a customer, and now that I am 3/4 of the way done, they've suddenly come up with problems on how much I have bid them. They didn't seek for any more bids, and just took mine. What do I do? Here's what the project is- What would you charge?? Thanks for your time.

Framing a 800 sq ft. basement (concrete floor is settled and needs repair)
( special framing in most areas because of floor )
Sheetrocking & mud --- ready for paint
complete finishing of the bathroom ( everything complete )

Please let me know for materials and labor combined. Thanks so much for your time

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Umm, - - Italian marble in this bathroom?? Impossible to give a price on something phrased so exact as a 'bathroom'. Doesn't really matter anyway how many prices you get or what they are, - - this customer is obviously planning on taking you for a ride. Stock up on your 're-fried' beans, - - looks like it's gonna be a while 'til your next paycheck. Good Luck anyway.

·
Housewright & Woodwright
106 Posts
Did you sign a contract with them?

Step 1; If you do have a contract, then I would complete the job, so that they don't have a case against you for "non-payment"

Step 2; If you do have a contract, upon completion of the job have an attorney send them a letter requesting payment. If they fail to comply move onto step 3.

Step 3; After 30-days of non-payment, I would place a lien against their property.

These are the steps that I have taken in the past and still use for customer who fail to pay.

If you didn't have them sign a contract, then this is an expensive lesson in why you have a customer sign a contract!

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mike Finley: If there was ever a time for negotiation it was before the contract was signed not 3/4 of the way through the job. Sit down with them and go over your contract and scope of work and ask them to explain to you where you have done anything different than what everybody agreee to.
Roger that!

Otherwise, that job sounds like a T&M thing, getting them to supply materials, and you returning to the job only if you get paid every week.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
CarrellConst. said:
..now that I am 3/4 of the way done, they've suddenly come up with problems on how much I have bid them.
Tell them you have a problem too and show them an estimate for a $1,000 more than you bid. Then tell them you'll meet them half way at $500 more.

·
Registered
313 Posts
LOL! And he's absolutely right! That is EXACTLY right!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts