Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a carpenter by trade and not a plumber...let's just get that out of the way first, although I have dabled. I just recently purchased a vacation house(in the boonies) and in an effort to keep a few dollars in my pocket I am going to finish the plumbing a basement bathroom that has been roughed in already. The bathroom is in a basement, concrete slab floor. A few questions about the finishing:

1. Should the venting of the toilet and shower already have been completed at the time of rough in? I have a capped PVC stack pipe out of the floor, 2" drain for the sink coming out about 18", and then the shower drain in the floor, covered by a square plate if I remember correctly.

2. What are the basic steps for finishing the shower plumbing to get it ready for a freestanding fiberglass one peice shower unit. I understand the toilet flange connectiom, in that, I will need to clear the concrete around the pipe enough to get the bottom of the flange to sit level with the finished floor. But it's the shower that I have had experience with.

Thanks for any insight that anyone can give.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My advice is to find a plumber who needs carpentry work done and work out a trade. We carpenters should stick to nailing and sawing wood IMO.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
cblevesque said:
2. What are the basic steps for finishing the shower plumbing to get it ready for a freestanding fiberglass one peice shower unit. I understand the toilet flange connectiom, in that, I will need to clear the concrete around the pipe enough to get the bottom of the flange to sit level with the finished floor. But it's the shower that I have had experience with.
The shower should come with a diagram giving you the measurements for exactly where the drain goes. You bring your drain to this spot, elbow it up and leave it a little long. The drain assembly in the shower pan can either be a solvent weld or a compression. I have used both. But basicallly it involves measuring the drain assembly in the pan to see exactly how much of the drain pipe you have stick up out of the floor now needs to be cut off. Cut it off, assemble the drain assembly in the shower base, set the base on the drain pipe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts