Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Artist and not a curator
14,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my everlasting quest for the perfect finish for exotics I'm going new again. I do some due diligence in testing but its hard to get a certain idea how something will hold up with a 4x4 area. Sooooo...

I listened to John and Al about TWP. The job is a large 1800 sq ft cumaru deck that another guy hacked up and I was asked to make look good. Sanded down to 100 grit and now finishing with TWP 100 series and so far very pleased. Penetration is near zilch but not needed with south Americans, the finish is beautiful and relatively easy to work. Dry's quick and seems sticky but but if overlapped quickly and smooth it really brings out the grain.

This particular deck has a lot of 1/4 sawn and it makes it stand out like it should appearing figured. John recommended 2 part dark oak 1 part cedar but they wanted lighter so I went 4 parts cedar to 3 parts dark oak. I've got about 800 ft left to do tomorrow and will take some pictures. I'm a little worried about flaking but other than that so far I really like the look.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Tried waterlox yet?

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,494 Posts
I haven't blended the different colors much other than 3 parts cedar to 1 part rustic when doing cedar decks. I look forward to seeing how your blend works out.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
The three parts cedartone natural to two parts dark oak comes out a pretty nice brown. Dark oak is heavy with solids so like I said keep them mixed up as you go.

Far as penetration TWP will fool Ya. After it's set up that finish is one of the hardest to get off, of anything. I never spray it unless I am not around anything of value.

I think You and your Wallet will be happy with it.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
I am using a new one too. Found an oil finish at my local paint store. It smelled, looked and dried the exact same color as my Messmers.

It will be easy to get, substantially cheaper, says it causes Californians to instantly die of cancer, and if it sucks I can ***** about it to the store owner.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recently bought a new computer and realized I hadn't uploaded any photos of the twp trial. This stuff is holding up incredibly well, the rain still beads and won't penetrate the wood at all and it dries similarly to a surface stain but absolutely no evidence of peeling.

For the price it absolutely cannot be beat. I'm a believer now. Thanks John and Al!

·
Artist and not a curator
14,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So how long has that finish been on now. How many coats?
That picture is just 2 coats and was done in early November. I was over there last week and the dew was beaded up in pools. It hasn't been a significant amount of time but we've had a couple nasty rains and that part of the deck gets sun from sunrise until about 5:00. Even the docks which see sun dawn-to-dusk haven't even started to change.

I'll take a picture of the upstairs I did with messmer's to show the difference. I did both at the same time. I will say messmer's is more easily applied though and not nearly as nasty to get off vinyl siding.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
100 series TWP will hold up for Ya Rob.

It is a build coat finish . You might advise the Wallet on this so they can plan for it come spring or early summer. If left with out any care the sun will bleach out/breakdown the metal pigments , a blanch. Without the color it wont reflect the sun. The water / mildew protection will still be there and your base coat will be the same.

It's much easier to put on the finish after the base has been put down and it takes less material. I have built twp 100 series to a Simi gloss you can see your hand in without any pealing or lifting.

My SA (masenranduba ) deck out back of my Beloved Butler Manor is 12 years old, still looks the same as the day I put it down. After 5 months or so from the base coat I gave it an oxalic wash and put on two more this lasted 3 years and even then the look was just slightly toned down to a dark sand color really it looked just fine but I went ahead and put on two more because it was an experiment . All together it has eight coats during all those years and this came out to that gloss look.

You Never have to strip this finish. The more coats the longer it takes to set up. TWP bonds to itself and the wood like tightbond 111 glue. This fusing takes some time so again be ready for that.

The only trouble I have ever had came from the Wallet letting it go, forgetting my parting instructions, believing the one time hype or the polly mix claims and putting this stuff over the twp.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
Artist and not a curator
14,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks John, when we bought the material we bought an extra 10 gallons specifically for March 2 months before our stupid heavy rains start. When I first put it down I thought it applied similar to a poly and thought " oh :censored: this might end up being an expensive mess" and just did a board or two. Next day, it dried beautifully even in the spot I knew dew was going to cover it.

The stuff is great, since then I've re-done a tree house at the same place. I'll add some pics of that when I go back to, one of the nicest things is any residual shows up in look and not in stickiness feeling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts