Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Contractor
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The installation was a fiberglass door and pine wood surround (custom work) with mahogany gel stain and two or more costs of Helmsman oil spar poly.

6' porch which gets morning sunlight only on the bottom, which is where it's flaking. I understand it's a heat issue w substrate heating bc of the color-the wood is effected to a much greater degree then the fiberglass door.

Is there any remedy? Is the gel coat on wood an issue?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Was the door properly prepped? Light sand and cleaning and allowed to dry fully?

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
My guess is the stain wasn't fully cured. Sanding it back down may be the only good option. I'm not a fan of clear coating exterior wood products myself, seems like it always leads to more maintenance.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,031 Posts
I've seen gel stains used over fiberglass or metal doors as part of faux finishing, but none of those had this problem. Gel stains lay on the surface of wood so they have worse adhesion than a traditional stain, but the photo doesn't really tell me it's a basic adhesion or cure issue.

That pretty much leaves moisture, either from the original stripping or possibly coming in on the bottom edge of the door. You can tape some clear plastic over that part to see if you get condensation on the plastic at the end of the day, but it may not show up now, especially if it's coming in periodically on the bottom edge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts