Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, - - I should win the 'bone-head' move of the day/week with this one.

I was diggin' trenches for some 6 X 6 timbers today to set my new 18 X 21 carport on (then I'll pour concrete inside at some later point).

Anyway, the shovel hits a tree root.

No problem, - - just stick a long blade in the saw-zall and cut right through it, huh??

Well, - - I cut 3/4's of the way through from one direction, - - then decided to 'finish it off' from the other.

I gets myself situated, - - one leg on 'grade-level', - - the other 6" down in the trench, - - I set the saw in place, - - then I reach around and underneath the 'batter-board' string with my left hand, - - and blindly 'grip' the underside of the front end of the saw-zall.

I'm workin' fast, - - I'm boogeyin', - - gonna get this sucker cut in no time.

Never realized my 'fast-action' blind grip had my ring finger placed right inside the part of the saw where the blade goes in.

Yeah, - - you got that right, - - you sadistic 'blood-mongers', you, - - my right hand pulls the trigger, - - while my 'left' plays 'ketchup-squeeze-bottle'.

Though I let go of the trigger instantaneously, - - the ring-finger went back and forth between the blade and saw body about a dozen times. Caught more on the side of the blade than the teeth.

On the 'brighter' side, - - I got '2-fer-1' use out of the bandages (bandaid followed by duct tape), - - they not only helped stop the bleeding, - - they helped to hold the damn fingernail in place.

Don't anybody try this trick at home!! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
You need to post this in safety forum as a safety tip. OUCH

The only sawzall accident I have had was branding myself with a hot blade. doh

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Ya gotta give us some pics, Tom.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See that??, - - I knew you guys were blood-mongers, - - no thanks to the pictures, - - for one, - - it's not really as bad as it sounds, - - and for two, - - gonna keep that 'nail' wrapped on for a few days at least, - - see if it 'takes'. Kinda pulled one side of the nail away from the finger a little.

In this day and age, - - shouldn't I be suing somebody??

That damn saw-zall didn't even come with an instructional movie, you know!! :cheesygri

Furthermore, - - no sign saying not to put your finger where the blade goes!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Years ago I had the Milwaukee corded sawzalls. On a few occasions my fingertip would slip inside the blade guard and get pinched by the blade lock (allen srew type) as it pulled in. I know use Dewalt 18volt...twice as much power and safer..no fingertip injuries. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, - - I come to work to bang some 'nails', - - what's the problem?? :cheesygri

1 - 6 of 6 Posts