Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trim router tool case has been a mess with bits banging into each other and getting dull before I even open the case... foamboard and a scroll saw to the rescue. I traced the shape of the bit storage lids onto the FB and cut it to fit the odd shape of the case. Some holes I drilled at an angle (not much head space), some bits and things I pinned to the FB with electrical cable staples.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is one of those things that I keep telling myself I need to do, but it's hard to slow down and follow through. Good idea, one that I may copy/modify one of these days.

Thanks for continuing to post your ideas, tips and methods.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also made a bit block that fits in a plastic bin. The foam is actually hard to drill... bit wants to wander and the foam tears out, etc. My solution is a pegboard as drill guide. Keeps the bit from wandering, stops tearout, and gives you evenly spaces holes. I use 3/16" hole for the 1/4" shanks for a snug fit:

Attachments

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I like the idea but not as much as the energy you have to do it.:thumbsup:

What the heck are you doing with those high speed steel bearingless homeowner special round over bits? Hmmmm?:laughing:
Must have got caught out in the boons and had to shop at Gomer's feed and Hardware.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Hey Bass, I made a bit storage piece like that out of a scrap piece of Azek. Predrilled the holes with a 1/4" bit. The nice thing was, the heat caused the hole to tighten up just enough to hold the bits securely. I suppose with your soft, neatly manicured hands, you will treat that foamboard with the gentle touch it deserves.:w00t::laughing::shutup:

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the idea but not as much as the energy you have to do it.:thumbsup:

What the heck are you doing with those high speed steel bearingless homeowner special round over bits? Hmmmm?:laughing:
Must have got caught out in the boons and had to shop at Gomer's feed and Hardware.
I got the bigger roundover in a pinch... to do a stair nosing... the other one is one of the first bits I ever bought 25 years ago or so... has sentimental value.:w00t:

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Hey Bass, I made a bit storage piece like that out of a scrap piece of Azek. Predrilled the holes with a 1/4" bit. The nice thing was, the heat caused the hole to tighten up just enough to hold the bits securely. I suppose with your soft, neatly manicured hands, you will treat that foamboard with the gentle touch it deserves.:w00t::laughing::shutup:
Lone was their any doubt in our minds what yours would have been made out of?! :clap:

I have a feeling that you have even tasted a chunk of Azek before :w00t:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I got the bigger roundover in a pinch... to do a stair nosing... the other one is one of the first bits I ever bought 25 years ago or so... has sentimental value.:w00t:
Darn! You would use the sentimental thing on me. I'm such a sucker for that stuff. Darn you Bass:furious:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Lone was their any doubt in our minds what yours would have been made out of?! :clap:

I have a feeling that you have even tasted a chunk of Azek before :w00t:
Oh yeah, ate enough of that stuff to know it won't kill you, short term anyway. Now I use a respirator.

Reactions: nEighter

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
nEighter;735020 I have a feeling that you have even tasted a chunk of Azek before :w00t:[/quote said:
It does look like Brie cheese.

The shavings is like shaved Parmesan.

I think he has too

Reactions: nEighter

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why I use only the finest materials in my work... or whatever is laying around.:laughing: The Azek block sounds like winner. My bit blocks in the shop are oak. As for your snide comments...:boxing:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Why I use only the finest materials in my work... or whatever is laying around.:laughing: The Azek block sounds like winner. My bit blocks in the shop are oak. As for your snide comments...:boxing:
I was only refering to the fact that you do such fine work, you must keep your digits in the utmost condition so as to not deminish your impecable workmanship...:whistling

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I have reread his post several times Bass. I fail to see anything snide about it.
Put the gloves away before you hurt your hands.:laughing:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Gus I had a fantastical foamboard tour de force going here and you dare to insult me... inconcievable!:euro:
Oh, yeah, there is a stretch of the imagination....:no:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts