Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anybody tell me the best way to get a non-union job in L.A. I've tried one free website, but there must be other ways than the newspaper. Maybe it's the sign of the times, but there are no jobs anywhere.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,045 Posts
Try opening a phone book and look under "Electrical Contractors". Pick up the phone and start calling.

·
Registered
428 Posts
job

maybe half are still in business. If you have a horrible background. Put one of the ones that went out of business on your resume.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Notr wanting to be rude, but I guess I'm asking sparkies in L.A. Please disregard if you are from Iowa or any other place that only has one phone book for the whole state.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,045 Posts
Notr wanting to be rude, but I guess I'm asking sparkies in L.A. Please disregard if you are from Iowa or any other place that only has one phone book for the whole state.
So you think po' li'l ol' LA's got the market cornered on the bad economy and difficulty finding jobs?

Oh, and BTW, I get at least a dozen phone books every year.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I done gets a couple books a year, and i aint never had ta be callen folks fer a job. We folks in smaller towns i reckon are doing better than folks in the big city. I am still going every day but i reckon i know how to drum up work. But my question is are you looking for work or are you looking for a job? There is a difference!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I don't think L.A. has got "the market cornered in a bad economy." I just thought that maybe, just maybe, I would get a civil answer from an intellegent source. That's why I came to this site, to get answers. If'n you don't know, then don't give some smart a.. answer like "look in a phone book." I know there are smarter ways than that and that is what I'm looking for... Smart answers, not smart a.. answers. There has to be a website or a contact list for employers looking for electricians in L.A.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,045 Posts
No I don't think L.A. has got "the market cornered in a bad economy." I just thought that maybe, just maybe, I would get a civil answer from an intellegent source. That's why I came to this site, to get answers. If'n you don't know, then don't give some smart a.. answer like "look in a phone book." I know there are smarter ways than that and that is what I'm looking for... Smart answers, not smart a.. answers. There has to be a website or a contact list for employers looking for electricians in L.A.

I'm sorry if you feel the answer "open a phone book and call ECs listed there" doesn't fit your idea of going out and finding a job. Apparently you feel someone is duty-bound to do some of your legwork for you for your benefit.

Trying just one website isn't going to gaurantee any results. Neither is cracking open a phone book either, but it was just one idea.

Apparently, it just might be a good one as no one else has suggested anything else. :whistling

·
Registered
391 Posts
Make a cardboard sign that says "will do electrical work for food" and stand beside one of the freeway off ramps. Better yet, since this is LA we are talking about, wear a sombrero and hold a Spanish version of the sign...

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
There's no work out there. It sucks right now and the president is out playing golf. We are truly screwed until 2012. You're better off learning how to steal at this point because eventually we are all F'ed.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,510 Posts
Try to keep it civil guys. Or the thread gets shut down.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Network, post a resume, and haunt job sites. Face to face encounters with working guys can lead to opportunities.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,045 Posts
You can also try to contact supply houses and see if they know who's busy. Sometimes you can pick up a lead that way, as they know by their weekly reports who is buying a bunch of material.

No warranty is provided on this idea as it may not work outside of the State That Feeds You.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Could anybody tell me the best way to get a non-union job in L.A. I've tried one free website, but there must be other ways than the newspaper. Maybe it's the sign of the times, but there are no jobs anywhere.
If that is what you believe it will be true

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the response. It's just been a tough year, especially having a family. I actually started going through the phone book for this area mnths ago, which only covers a tenth of L.A., then the business phone book, but after a couple of days and a zillion nos, I gave it up. I found one website "getelectricianjobs dot com. But no luck there either. I've had temp work, but nothing substantial. Maybe someone in L.A. may know something I don't. Again, thanks for the responses. I think next year will be better for all of us.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Good luck!
You might try remodeling contractors and see who they're using and if they need help, lots of head scratching in that kind of work and not everyone has the patience and demeanor to do it, not much happening in new construction.
You got to go where the work is

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I dont know about LA but here in NY you can go to the Unemplyment Office and log in on their computer and post a job wanted listing with you skills/experience listed. That would at least put your name out there to the employers who are hiring.

·
Banned
3,020 Posts
Free advice

I have offered this advice to a couple of young guys working with me in the past.

If you are in need of work - put on your boots, grab your belt and tools and park it at the electrical wholesaler from 6:00 AM on. Had out your resume and card to ever Joe walking in - Most will be contractors some will be home owners.

If you are looking that is a good place to start.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts