Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Finding Subcontractors

9K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  KaskiConstructi 
#1 ·
We are a GC that works in 25 states. Finding commercial subcontractors is always an ongoing issue. We have a large data base and we just bought a massive data base from thesubcontractordirectory.com. However we are always looking for more commercial subcontractors. Does anyone here have and other ideas on sourcing subcontractors?

#3 ·
Not to pile on but it's been my experience that any time someone says that they have plenty of something but they are looking for more, it means that all of what they currently have isn't getting the job done.

#4 ·
Spaceage, I used to work for and traveled all over the county for a large National GC and I understand what you are up against. There are tons of commercial subs out there but finding the right sub is the challenge especially when the project is in a city where you haven't been before. Just because someone has website doesn't mean they are right for the job.

1) I'm sure you already know this but contact local material suppliers for referrals. Equipment rental companies are especially helpful. (Sunbelt and United) Companies that print plans also have a good idea of who does what.

2) Contact local commercial GC's in the area. Many of us would be happy to give you contact info for subs that we have worked with for many years. Our subs appriciate it and I sometimes get a free lunch out of the deal. (feel free to PM me if you guys get to the Richmond area)

3) For a fee, we and other smaller commercial GC's have done some leg work for large out of town GC's. Site visits, apply for permits, meet subs bidding on site, babysit a job when the super goes home for a break, even punch type work after you leave town. (We're mostly non-union around here so it's never a problem)

4) Join the local trade referral group. Here in Richmond it's the Builders Exchange or Dodge. It gives you access to database of members by CSI format.

#5 ·
Have you ever checked TheBlueBook.com? The site is always in flux (always making updates), but overall I'm able to find a good list of companies to bid on my out-of-state projects. I've been using this site for the better part of...maybe 5 years?

They also have a great team of people trying to get feedback from contractors that use the site. I once made a request for help on their website (tried to find a map search option for finding a plumbing sub in NJ) and I got a call, not an email, from a rep within a day. After she helped me with that, she asked for any other suggestions I might have for their site.

#6 ·
Post’s #4 and #5 have it right in my opinion. I would also add local trade groups like The Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC). I am a member of the Western Pa chapter and we are working on a local project right now with an out of state contractor that got our name from ABC.

#10 ·
Subcontractors

The easiest way I have found to gather subcontractors is to use google and call them. It is my job within Kaski Construction Inc. to Build our subcontractors list so I also am always looking for new ways to build that list. Right now we work in Washington and Minnesota and looking for more subcontractors in those states but google has been a great tool for me so far.

We do General Contractor, Davenport WA Duluth MN
Builder, Davenport WA Duluth MN
Contractor, Davenport WA Duluth MN
Home builder, Davenport WA Duluth MN
Remodeling Contractor, Davenport WA Duluth MN
Kitchen Remodeling Davenport, WA Duluth MN
Bath remodeling Davenport WA Duluth MN

Visit us at www.kaskiconstructioninc.com or at 822 W Morgan Davenport, WA 99122

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.