Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to this site and I'm a self-employed plumber in MA. I'm just finishing up a large (150 homes) residential project and because I put all my eggs in one basket I'm going to be at a stand still until the next project in about 7 months.I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on how to find more new work? Would you cold call builders out of the phone book or write a letter any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

plumguy

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi Plumguy and welcome aboard.

There are various on-line lead generation services, which are available at a fairly reasonable cost and the one I've used & have been very successful with is www.renovationexperts.com Give them a look.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'd start knocking on GC's doors. Spell out your situation clearly, that you have another project in 7 mos. Try the smaller home builders as opposed to developers. I'm having a hard time with an out of work plumber.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Perhaps this is a post for the marketing forum.

Personally I find lots more money when dealing direct with the customer. I'd figure out ways to advertise to home/building owners rather than being the lowest bidder on production building.

·
Registered
438 Posts
This is one of the biggest reasons that I do not do any new homes.

Kills me to think of what I would do if for some reason I ran out of work.

I know this may sound stupid, but why dont you add for any repairs, and or same day water heater replacements.

I find with just getting the foot in the door you wind up with quite a few " While Your Here"

BJD

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.I will look into everyone's ideas and advice.I realized right after I posted it, that it was in the wrong forum(I'm a newbie!).

·
Registered
199 Posts
plumguy said:
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.I will look into everyone's ideas and advice.I realized right after I posted it, that it was in the wrong forum(I'm a newbie!).

Starting out again, it was suggested to me to join the Chamber of Commerce.
Having do so, a kind soul has taken me under her wing to give me "background" as to who is the real deal and who to avoid. I don't have the capital to "buy" an education, so it's paid off to me. (And an Orange blossum b00-kay to my source)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts