Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For contractors who have been in business for quite some time you can rely on word of mouth to find work. Have been in trades over 20 years. Worked as a lead Carpenter and as a project manager for 13 years until being laid off in 08. I found my myself in a position of starting my own company out of necessity a year latter. Fully insured, licensed, workmans comp, website, totally legit. Being the new guy on the block has been tough. Work comes in from word of mouth. But not enough to promote some real growth. Looking for something solid, proven ideas to move forward...

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
For contractors who have been in business for quite some time you can rely on word of mouth to find work. Have been in trades over 20 years. Worked as a lead Carpenter and as a project manager for 13 years until being laid off in 08. I found my myself in a position of starting my own company out of necessity a year latter. Fully insured, licensed, workmans comp, website, totally legit. Being the new guy on the block has been tough. Work comes in from word of mouth. But not enough to promote some real growth. Looking for something solid, proven ideas to move forward...
Check out the Marketing & Sales forum here. There are a ton of tips on developing a marketing strategy for your business.

You may also want to get the book "Duct Tape Marketing" & give it a read.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
11,325 Posts
Check out the Marketing & Sales forum here. There are a ton of tips on developing a marketing strategy for your business.
Great idea. Just moved this thread there too.:thumbup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Word of mouth, client referrals, and depending on your services you can work with real estate agents. There are sites like reoprep that offer you to list your business for like 5-10 bucks a month. I know they have a promotion on facebook http://www.facebook.com/REOprep if you register saying you saw then there you get it for 3 bucks a month.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I got my first customers 3 ways: LivingSocial, doorhangers and Every Door Direct Mail. They all worked very well for me, but you have to use them wisely, especially LivingSocial/ Groupon.

Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
An organic SEO campaign can be done well for a few hundred per month and will show a return typically within 60 days. This will be your best long term strategy.

Don't make the mistake of trying to take short cuts. There is plenty of get rich quick system's that'll pray on your need for work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Register domain name and put a cheap site on it at first.

Get some clients with Adwords, though they are becoming too expensive. Let someone who knows help you configure them.
Register for Adwords with a gmail account that is different from your personal because this way you can give someone else the right to manage it without compromizing your personal mail.

Register and then do nothing . After two-three weeks, Google sends you a $100 coupon to get you started.

Get started.

Register on a couple of websites where users can give you a review.

Meanwhile, make your site better.

And work every client - have your email signature include these review sites and actively ask/beg/bribe them to review you. Give them 10% friend and family discount so that they recommend you to friends and family.

I find this strategy effective.

·
edwardsconstruction.org
92 Posts
I place a lot of emphasis on canvassing. In fact it is My single most effective source of new business. I have averaged 65k in net sales
per month this year off of it. Plus, I saturate areas I plan to hit next
with flyers simultaneously. Canvassing is an art and can be very lucrative.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I place a lot of emphasis on canvassing. In fact it is My single most effective source of new business. I have averaged 65k in net sales
per month this year off of it. Plus, I saturate areas I plan to hit next
with flyers simultaneously. Canvassing is an art and can be very lucrative.
Would you care to share your method?
Do you do it yourself or hire? Do you talk to people or leave flyers? What kind of flyers? Or do you first hit he area with flyers and then canvass?

·
edwardsconstruction.org
92 Posts
Sorry had some leads to run so got busy right after posting.
I will try to help any way I can PlumberDmitry. I call My method
Grass Roots advertising. Learned how to do it from some very good
freelance salesman here in California. One of them had the sears
home improvement contract in the 80's and did 8-10 mil a year with
it. Of course He was using a boiler room back then and had 30 salesmen
as well.
I do all the closing Myself but, I do hire people to pass out flyers and
set leads and I coach them how to do that. There is a guy on Youtube
named Tony Hotty (think I spelled that right who, has some great tips
for that kind of thing). I work at it every day. Up early and on the street
sometimes by 10am usually for 4 or more hours following My guys doing
what We like to call burnouts. Meaning I hit the customers who, want
on the spot bids while They, go find more. I close about 20% this way.
Now this only happens during times I'm not running preset leads from
prior excursions on the streets. Burnouts usually work on weekends and I don't recommend doing it on weekdays. Preset leads I close 60% using a twelve step method.
While this is going on in the west side of town. I have My son and another guy passing out flyers on the east side and not getting leads
but, just saturating the area with info about Us and leaving doorhangers etc. When I mop up in the west side I'll move to the east side and You would be surprised at how many People seem to know You or, at least that think they know Your company from all the info
They have seen in recent weeks.
I could go on all day but it takes a monster effort to make sales these days and mostly it's going out every day like someone stole Your lunch
money and Momma didn't pack You a lunch. Ever need a hand with advice send an email Or call Me and I'll be glad to at least tell You what I know. Good luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
An organic SEO campaign can be done well for a few hundred per month and will show a return typically within 60 days. This will be your best long term strategy.

Don't make the mistake of trying to take short cuts. There is plenty of get rich quick system's that'll pray on your need for work.
I agree, definately the most efficient and productive way of getting leads for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry had some leads to run so got busy right after posting.
I will try to help any way I can PlumberDmitry. I call My method
Grass Roots advertising. Learned how to do it from some very good
freelance salesman here in California. One of them had the sears
home improvement contract in the 80's and did 8-10 mil a year with
it. Of course He was using a boiler room back then and had 30 salesmen
as well.
I do all the closing Myself but, I do hire people to pass out flyers and
set leads and I coach them how to do that. There is a guy on Youtube
named Tony Hotty (think I spelled that right who, has some great tips
for that kind of thing). I work at it every day. Up early and on the street
sometimes by 10am usually for 4 or more hours following My guys doing
what We like to call burnouts. Meaning I hit the customers who, want
on the spot bids while They, go find more. I close about 20% this way.
Now this only happens during times I'm not running preset leads from
prior excursions on the streets. Burnouts usually work on weekends and I don't recommend doing it on weekdays. Preset leads I close 60% using a twelve step method.
While this is going on in the west side of town. I have My son and another guy passing out flyers on the east side and not getting leads
but, just saturating the area with info about Us and leaving doorhangers etc. When I mop up in the west side I'll move to the east side and You would be surprised at how many People seem to know You or, at least that think they know Your company from all the info
They have seen in recent weeks.
I could go on all day but it takes a monster effort to make sales these days and mostly it's going out every day like someone stole Your lunch
money and Momma didn't pack You a lunch. Ever need a hand with advice send an email Or call Me and I'll be glad to at least tell You what I know. Good luck.
Thanks Popagorgio for sharing. I will go listen to Tony Hotty and might shoot an email to you.
For plumbers, it is even harder these days. Firstly, big companies SEO-ed all first pages. Adwords can cost up to 11-15 dollars a click. Competition is insane, and best jobs are usually emergency jobs when the drain or sewer needs repair, or house is flooded.
So people run to google. If they had a flyer and a good first impression, maybe they would just call me.

Thanks again, I appreciate your sharing with me.

·
edwardsconstruction.org
92 Posts
No problem Dimitry,
I hope it works out. btw Tony Hoty is spelled with 1 T. There are others
on youtube as well and a lot of them have great advice.
Being in the plumbing biz' You might have to approach this a little
differently but, keep in mind if You can make Your target area know You
They will call You whenever They need a plumber. So, You could try
saturating Them with flyers and I would do that constantly. Maybe doorhangers or. if telemarketing is feasible in Toronto then I got a great
system for You involving surveys. Whatever happens remember There
is somebody out there today needing some plumbing work done and it
is Our job to find Them...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts