Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to find wood blocking in a brick wall covered in plaster without tearing up the plaster. I'm pricing removing about 600 windows and the clips are attached to wood blocking. The windows and clips are aluminum. My theory is find the wood, find the clip which I can then cut without getting into the adjacent finish. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to find wood blocking in a brick wall covered in plaster without tearing up the plaster. I'm pricing removing about 600 windows and the clips are attached to wood blocking. The windows and clips are aluminum. My theory is find the wood, find the clip which I can then cut without getting into the adjacent finish. Thanks for your help.
Metal detector may find the fasteners but not the clips...without pics its hard to help, but we usually just pull/pry the window frame out, cut if its stubborn after the strap is exposed...

Good first post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking that using a multi tool to cut the strap and then remove would work well but I have to be able to find the strap. I don't know how well the metal detector would work since it's adjacent to metal plaster lath. Anyway to find the strap from the outside? Cut the caulk then probe to find it?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I did one w/ brick and 60's aluminum windows...
I made myself one of these, and it worked excellent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts