Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I agree with what everyone is saying about being legit but having the license doesn't guarantee that the guy would have GL or WC or a safety plan.

Alot of the people that have a license and GC here are briefcase builders and don't know crap about erecting a structure or doing the actual work.

Basically having the license means you get to be part of the lawsuit whether you did anything wrong or not.

Michigan says anything you charge more then $600 for you should be licensed and insured even if your just a laborer. The fact that somebody is licensed doesn't mean they still aren't going to tip the railroad ties on someone or hit the underground or do crap work it just gives dumb ass customers some recourse for their own stupidity.

How many times have we all been told after someone got the royal sphincter massage dry that they wished we would have done their project? I say do your due diligence as a customer.

As said before OP should step back or maybe assist the guy in becoming legit.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Can you provide a reference for the "insured" part? Never heard of that.
I don't believe there is a requirement for GL insurance by the state but typically it is required to work on most projects especially if you're subbing. Kind of ties in to customers verifying insurance coverage/due diligence.

WC insurance is the same way unless you have employees then it's mandatory.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts