Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished this up a couple weeks ago. Water was getting in bad from some open heads on the plinths and some previous repairs weren't helping. Tore it apart section by section without removing the plinth stones. Non typical constructio for the 1920's, concrete foundation 2' thick to grade then 12" with 12" of stone facing, but the floor system is also behind the stone instead of on top,.... different. The rubble between the wood and the stone was soaked and it hadn't rained in several days

Typical failed section

Rebuilt up to the down spout

All rebuilt and finish pointed

Every stone in it's place and a place for every stone

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And this one I just started, same stone as above but new, the guy was doing a small addition to his house..very small, he'll only gain 4 sqft, but he couldn't get a brick to match exactly with the old so I'm redoing the brick, this area never had brick beforeso I built 4" block to grade and am doing stone above...just because i guess

We don't need no stinkin saws

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Those jobs came out great !:thumbsup:

Especially the repair,it is always a challenge to make a repair match the original !:thumbsup:

Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that stone from your area?
Yes and no. It's the limestone that is in the city (Ottawa), the limestone here, just 30miles west is quite different. The new stone actually comes from east of Montreal 300 miles away maybe but is the same formation as the limestone in Ottawa, our stone is the same as the limestone in Kingston which is maybe 100miles away (probably a little less). Kinsgston limestone is very well known in Canada, it's known (probably only by masons) as the limestone city

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those jobs came out great !:thumbsup:

Especially the repair,it is always a challenge to make a repair match the original !:thumbsup:

Thank you for sharing.
The rest of the wall was actually rebuild by another company about 5 years ago, so I'm not really matching the original.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Jaydee.

The guy who was doing the locate at this job thought it was crazy that anyone did that much work to square a stone. The one I was working on was quite tapered and had to have quite a bot of work done to it to make it usable, particularly the top bed with the point. He thought i was nuts but he also figured i must like my work...right on both accounts I'd say

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
the job you just started is that 4'' thick veneer...I can't see where its rests....nice work.

Also everyone here seems to use wood table benches to cut stone? I nevey would think of doing that bounce!...I was taught to use a sand box.....never did though...I lay the edge of the one I'm cutting on another rock's edge....or use a 4 by 6 x 3/8'' ...works good on staging ...and for cutting flagging without a saw! make the angle iron under foot long though so it conforms better to a convex stone and just feed as you cut. Prevents excess back spall nice job on the repair Dom

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the job you just started is that 4'' thick veneer...I can't see where its rests....nice work.

Also everyone here seems to use wood table benches to cut stone? I nevey would think of doing that bounce!...I was taught to use a sand box.....never did though...I lay the edge of the one I'm cutting on another rock's edge....or use a 4 by 6 x 3/8'' ...works good on staging ...and for cutting flagging without a saw! make the angle iron under foot long though so it conforms better to a convex stone and just feed as you cut. Prevents excess back spall nice job on the repair Dom
The stone is generally between 3.5-6" thick but is sometimes more because they want you to face bed it which I don't like to do so i cut it in half and use it natural bed.

I've always used a wooden banker, sometimes a steel frame with a 2" thick wood top, but a book that i have says that a 1 ton block of marble or granite is the only suitable choice to work off, not very convenient to bring along to a job.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not good with remembering to take pictures. The owner just e-mailed me these so i could add them to the website. Thanks Adrio

and an oval window, The drawings showed a square window and he surprised me with this one day. I did it as a freebie cause I had never done an oval before...I'd done plenty of elliptical arches and a bullseye but never an oval. Not perfect but I was pretty happy and he was ecstatic. Looks like I might have to go back and was that wall. i thought i had???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts