Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After graduating college in construction I spent 6 years acting as PM in residential construction. Had a job opportunity come up to switch to commercial and thought why not expand my knowledge. As it turns out, it is actually a maintenance company that the commercial company was starting and the education that I thought I would receive has instead changed to a non-stop barrage of minor repairs. It is the least rewarding, most frustrating job I have ever had.

So I went out and got my residential contractors license. It has always been my goal to start my own company and relish in the profits and suffer in the losses on my own. I've always thought that I would rather work for customers than for employers. But while my wife is on board, she is on board only if I keep my current job until my company takes off. While I realize this is ultimately a smart move, I do believe that the time I spend working the maintenance job is going to slow down my own work and prevent me from really getting out there and finding the work.

I have a nice addition and renovation lined up. And I have an investor ready to 100% fund a spec house. What I am looking for here from this board is advice on growing the business from the people who have done it. Building a brand, generating leads, and outside the box ideas of getting a name out there to be able to bid work. I appreciate any and all advice you may have to give.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Simple answer.You can not do what you want to do working part time after another job.I spend as much time as necessary on the job each day and then spend who knows how many hours at home for pricing ,bidding,drawings and all the things a business owner has to do.It is more than a full time job.It takes a lot of hours to succeed in this business unless you are well established.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.