Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've talked about it before, maybe even a few years ago now but I'm finally taking the plunge into radio advertising.

I will be advertising on talk radio stations since they tend to attract people who pay more attention to what is being said.

If anyone's done it, what have been your results?

I'm planning on giving it a good chance, probably around three months to see if it's a viable advertising option for my type of business.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn't imagine listening to a hockey game.

I'm running these ads during morning and afternoon rush hour.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
We've been running an ad on the local country station for several years, mainly for name recognition. Cheap enough, at $10/spot. It's once a week, during morning drive time right before Huckabee. they've not rang our phone off the hook, but I've had a lot of people say they've heard our ad.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just the 2 slots? One AM and one PM? 30 sec ads?

On two different stations, a few slots a day. Some 30, a few 15 and then the weather report brought to you by...

Mostly seeing what can come of it. Name recognition, credibility and hopefully a lot more sales.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I think I'd buy pairs just a few minutes apart...

I think radio needs a jingle to stick in their heads

Even an awful one will drive recognition. One that comes to mind is 'Buying a car doesn't have to suck'

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
On two different stations, a few slots a day. Some 30, a few 15 and then the weather report brought to you by...

Mostly seeing what can come of it. Name recognition, credibility and hopefully a lot more sales.
Sounds like a fair sized campaign. I think that is needed on radio because it is about name recognition more than anything.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
The ad writing is important. What will your ad say?
Bamm

Couple of real successful examples in your market... Tom Hignite always comes to mind. - Still think he's a total sausage but certainly been successful

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
If your radio ads produce one job in a year that is obviously from the campaign you will be doing good. It might pay off when it has been on there for ten years and people think of you as a "real company" that has "been around forever". I also know that some people will not even consider a construction busies that does a lot of advertising because they make the assumption that they will be unnecessarily expensive.

My thoughts are that if you advertise it needs to be for the purpose of branding. If you just want to have people here your name a lot and assume that will turn into sales I think you will not see a good return on the money spent. If the ad is used because you know exactly how you want people to think of your business and you are going to invest money in building that image it will pay you back long term, although it may be hard for you to tell where.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Radio is really effective in some markets and terrible in others. I used to run up to 10k spots a year spread across four stations for my retail store. It was very effective.

A couple things that I found about radio that may, or may not, apply in your area. Firstly, the stations give you terrible pricing unless you're committing to large runs. Even then they will hold out on the really sweet deals unless you become a top advertiser or are able to pressure the salesperson. Unsold inventory lots are by far the cheapest ads you can buy. Secondly, change your ads frequently but keep something consistent so it's immediately recognizable, whether it's a jingle or you saying something at the end of each ad. Third, if you're a local business then you should at least TRY to do some ads yourself. Professional ads will convert some buyers but a personal ad is very effective with a lot of the public. When people walked into my store and heard my voice they lit right up. Even though you're paying to be on the radio people still like to meet the person they heard.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do want to do some ads myself as my budget is basically the same as yours was Ethan but over a three month run.

I'm planning on 620 and 1130

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
thinking about following up the drive times with the saturday and sunday fixit, remodeling, construction guru shows?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts