Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this week I start my 3rd and final session of apprenticeship training... If this blizzard stops. Yesterday was supposed to be our first day, but due to a heavy snow the college was closed. Then I wake up this morning and it's the same thing all over again, another snow day... So I decided to post on CT.

Anyway, I'm excited to be almost finished my apprenticeship! With all my accumulated hours I will be able to write my red seal exam right afterwards!

My understanding is that 3rd level is mostly commercial stuff, concrete, and stair layout, as well as some cabinetry. (At least here in ontario that's the curriculum, in Alberta and BC I think it's 4 levels of school)

it's nice to be off work for the two worst months of the year (weather wise). Lots of studying ahead for me, wish me luck. I'll keep updating this throughout.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nick, 2nd level is a lot of fun! You focus on all the residential framing and roof layout. You will like it best, almost everyone I talk to agrees it's the most enjoyable and most practical if your in residential framing and custom building etc.

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
Nick, 2nd level is a lot of fun! You focus on all the residential framing and roof layout. You will like it best, almost everyone I talk to agrees it's the most enjoyable and most practical if your in residential framing and custom building etc.
I am just looking forward to learning the proper way to the things i "sorta know how to do".

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,024 Posts
I didn't know that carpentry in Ontario was a 3 year program, I thought 4 years like Alberta has was a tight schedule to fit all that information into. Is it a 2 month course length?

Write your red seal and move to Alberta, we need the help! Haha.

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
I didn't know that carpentry in Ontario was a 3 year program, I thought 4 years like Alberta has was a tight schedule to fit all that information into. Is it a 2 month course length?

Write your red seal and move to Alberta, we need the help! Haha.
4 year apprenticeship, 3 levels of schooling.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the first week was obviously pretty laid back and un organized because of the snow days. The schedule was a bit messed up. My homework is just to read a chapter in our concrete formwork textbook.

For those of us eligible (me) we can complete this session of school and then after our final week is complete, the very next week is a prep course for the red seal exam, apparently we go over all the key material that is on the exam and then the Friday of that week we write the exam. A newer system (and a convenient one) so I'm excited and a bit nervous about it.

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
The concrete stuff is a bit much, I was lucky, and in with a bunch of union guys.

Here in NS, union is pretty much concrete work, from what I understand. So they were helpful in understanding all that stuff.

Red Seal Exam ask like 27 questions on concrete... A lot of the commercial questions will be processes... pay special attention to that..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brutus said:
A lot of the commercial questions will be processes... pay special attention to that..
will do, thanks. Also my teacher is stressing learning the proper terms, for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I'm in the middle of the third week. There is a lot to commercial concrete and it's pretty boring the way it's presented. Hopefully I'm absorbing as much as possible.

We've done quite a bit on stairs already; stair math, stair layout, well hole opening formulas, winder layout, elliptical stair formulas. Baluster layout/formulas. All that stuff I'm really enjoying so it's easier for me to remember. Also the math class isn't as hard as I thought it would be which is also a plus (I hope come exam time)

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
Out of all the questions you see in class on any particular subject.

You may see one math problem per. There wasn't anything on baluster spacing on mine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Week five down. 3 more to go, then red seal prep week. I'm really focusing on that exam more then anything now. Studying as much as possible in my spare time without going nuts

·
Hack
3,013 Posts
Search out the Red Seal Test preparation thread here on CT, lots of help there.
Good luck, don't go too nuts over it.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
Out of all the questions you see in class on any particular subject.

You may see one math problem per. There wasn't anything on baluster spacing on mine.
hes right about maybe not seeing it. but there are balluster spacing questions in the databank that each exam printed off draws questions from

1 - 20 of 39 Posts