Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps this planer fell down a hill, or Goofy Uncle Pete, who used to run this machine, was just too drunk to pay attention to things.

I guess he drank a pint of vodka daily at work.

Pressure bar was broke twice and then the edge on the other end had a crack in it and flaked off. That should be an easy repair and I will have it checked and ground flat and square.

This thing ran, and did not sound too bad, but there was a mess of grease inside that motor.

I made the wife come out and help pull the head, I gave her the greasy end.

I have got to get this thing cleaned up, it makes my whole shop stink, just sitting in the corner.

Soon I will have three 24" planers, is that a bad thing?:whistling

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,509 Posts
That'll look pretty when you get done with it.

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
You should set them all up in a row, and feed your lumber through. No more having to make multiple passes, just set them all up in decreasing depths!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
It's easy to see why you would like that machine. It looks very smartly built for it's time, with a ton of important features. Personally, I like direct drive as long as it works, but wouldn't want to redo a bad motor.

Can't wait to see this one cleaned up!;)
Joe

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, won't be pulling the bed out of this thing. Feed rolls will not come out of the machine, I got the bearing blocks off them but there is no way the rolls will come out. There is no way for the bed to come out unless I suspend the whole machine and take a side off at a time and keep the table held up in air.

The rolls sound hollow and the must have pressed the shafts in them when they were in the bed.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,509 Posts
You broke it!!!

Now you have to fix it. :biggrin:

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bed would still not come out, castings would not clear sides, so I split the planer.

Took off one side, got the bed out and pulled the other side from the cross sections.

I wasn't going to paint, but since I have completely torn apart, I might as well.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,509 Posts
Sounds like my snowblower project. Ya, I'm just gonna replace the engine and that bearing.

By the time I was done it was nearly a new snowblower.

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seems that is how it always works out. This planer has had a few wrecks over the years, will require some more machine work be done, but I want to keep this machine to do my final planing pass. Keep it set at the same height and last pass my lumber.

It only cost me about 300 bucks, so what is spending a little more on it.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts