Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello im new to this site... well i was filling out my application listening to a cd on how to fill it out... i kind of understand what to do but still confused... well im 21 years old and i have been working as a helper without any w2 or taxes... how can i prove that i have been working for 4 years because under 25 they need the proof. please need some help

110 Posts
hello im new to this site... well i was filling out my application listening to a cd on how to fill it out... i kind of understand what to do but still confused... well im 21 years old and i have been working as a helper without any w2 or taxes... how can i prove that i have been working for 4 years because under 25 they need the proof. please need some help

Get letters from your boss, customers, suppliers.

Jobsite pictures.

Copies of tax returns where you put your occupation.

Any osha construction safety training.

Copy of training from schools, suppliers, etc.

Copy of vehicle registration if busyness along with insurance broker letter or policy.

Company corrspondence for safety awards, sales awards , etc.

Letters from other licensed contractors you may have been on the same job with.

Any applications for credit where you put your occupation like car, personal loan etc.

Old receipts for cards, flyers, you may have had printed.

Receipts for tools of the trade, construction boots, etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i can get letters froim my boss and also from other contractors and reciets from boots and ALOT of tools and home depot statements and things like that but i dont have any tax papers

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
To get your B license in California you need to show 4 years of high level work in at least 4 trades.Meaning supervisory or journeyman level work,for 4 years.You must also have 2,000.00 operating capital and be able to get a 12,500.00 bond.

This is from the CSLB website.

Experience Requirements
You must have at least four years of experience to qualify to take the examination.
Credit for experience is given only for experience at a journey level or as a foreman,
supervising employee, contractor, or owner-builder. These are defined as follows:
• A journeyman is a person who has completed an apprenticeship program or is an
experienced worker, not a trainee, and is fully qualified and able to perform the
trade without supervision.
• A foreman or supervisor is a person who has the knowledge and skill of a journeyman
and directly supervises physical construction.
• A contractor is a person who manages the daily activities of a construction business,
including field supervision.
• An owner-builder is a person who has the knowledge and skills of a journeyman and
who performs work on his or her own property.
All experience claims must be verified by a qualified and responsible person, such
as a homeowner, an employer, fellow employee, other journeyman, contractor, union
representative, building inspector, architect, or engineer. The person verifying your
claim must have firsthand knowledge of your experience—that is, he or she must have
observed the work you have done—and must complete the experience certification
portion of the application. Even if you provide a certification of your experience, be
prepared to furnish documentation of any experience you claim on the application
whenever such documentation is requested. The failure to provide this documentation
will result in rejection of your application or denial of the license.

·
Registered
291 Posts
To get your B license in California you need to show 4 years of high level work in at least 4 trades.Meaning supervisory or journeyman level work,for 4 years.You must also have 2,000.00 operating capital and be able to get a 12,500.00 bond.

This is from the CSLB website.

Experience Requirements
You must have at least four years of experience to qualify to take the examination.
Credit for experience is given only for experience at a journey level or as a foreman,
supervising employee, contractor, or owner-builder. These are defined as follows:
• A journeyman is a person who has completed an apprenticeship program or is an
experienced worker, not a trainee, and is fully qualified and able to perform the
trade without supervision.
• A foreman or supervisor is a person who has the knowledge and skill of a journeyman
and directly supervises physical construction.
• A contractor is a person who manages the daily activities of a construction business,
including field supervision.
• An owner-builder is a person who has the knowledge and skills of a journeyman and
who performs work on his or her own property.
All experience claims must be verified by a qualified and responsible person, such
as a homeowner, an employer, fellow employee, other journeyman, contractor, union
representative, building inspector, architect, or engineer. The person verifying your
claim must have firsthand knowledge of your experience—that is, he or she must have
observed the work you have done—and must complete the experience certification
portion of the application. Even if you provide a certification of your experience, be
prepared to furnish documentation of any experience you claim on the application
whenever such documentation is requested. The failure to provide this documentation
will result in rejection of your application or denial of the license.

$2500.00 in operating capital.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,999 Posts
Get letters from your boss, customers, suppliers.

Jobsite pictures.

Copies of tax returns where you put your occupation.

Any osha construction safety training.

Copy of training from schools, suppliers, etc.

Copy of vehicle registration if busyness along with insurance broker letter or policy.

Company corrspondence for safety awards, sales awards , etc.

Letters from other licensed contractors you may have been on the same job with.

Any applications for credit where you put your occupation like car, personal loan etc.

Old receipts for cards, flyers, you may have had printed.

Receipts for tools of the trade, construction boots, etc
I read this thread after reading your post in the CA licensing thread.

Most of what is listed above wont do a thing for you. At 21, the board is going to want to know how you went from helper to apprentice to journeyman in 3-4 years. Keep in mind the law does state that you have to show 4 years at the Journeyman level. At 21 that will be very hard to do, even with a letter from an employer.

Note, if you apply now your app will most certainly be sent to investigation, if and when they deny you (and I think they will) your name will be flagged. Then when you apply again in 3+ years that flag will appear the second the app tech at the board begins to review your app. Back to investigation you go! You will again have to PROVE your experience.

I suggest you wait to obtain your license until you have more experience to back up your application.

Just my humble opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,999 Posts
California is pretty tough but if you go to a contractor school they might be able to bend some rules for you.
What???

If you go to a "school" hoping to bend some rules.. you are both committing fraud! And when you get caught it will become even harder to get a license when you can legitimately apply for a license.

Do it right the first time and don't hire a "school" to cheat for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What???

If you go to a "school" hoping to bend some rules.. you are both committing fraud! And when you get caught it will become even harder to get a license when you can legitimately apply for a license.

Do it right the first time and don't hire a "school" to cheat for you.
hey Mr. Gura is it true that the California law test is the hardest in the country and that if you pass the califor test they waive taking same test in other states?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts