Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I searched and found a couple old posts about it, but really didnt find to much.

So what do you guys recomend for filling small nail holes in azek or any other pvc trim for that matter?

I looked into the bond n fill, but no one around here carries it and the job is the end of this week. The azek will be getting painted imeadietly after installation, by the homeowner:laughing:

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Filler

Hey guys I searched and found a couple old posts about it, but really didnt find to much.

So what do you guys recomend for filling small nail holes in azek or any other pvc trim for that matter?

I looked into the bond n fill, but no one around here carries it and the job is the end of this week. The azek will be getting painted imeadietly after installation, by the homeowner:laughing:

Thanks, Dave
Red Devil plastic wood filler, let cure, lightly sand and paint.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for all the suggestions.

Warner, its for panels on a couple big window bays. Its a common detail around here. It seems everyone I have seen rots in a few years no matter what. I figured the azek would be a good choice. Plus loneframer got me hooked on it:laughing:

Dave

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Thank you guys for all the suggestions.

Warner, its for panels on a couple big window bays. Its a common detail around here. It seems everyone I have seen rots in a few years no matter what. I figured the azek would be a good choice. Plus loneframer got me hooked on it:laughing:

Dave
Yeah, well the "Typical" detail is to use CDX plywood for the panels and interior pine panel moldings.

It's no wonder they fail all the time!:rolleyes:

I've done a couple with Azek and they turned out well. You might want to check out Cortex plugs for all the frame fastening.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
You may want to use a product like Homeslicker behind those panels to allow some airflow. I worry about trapped moisture on larger surface areas covered with PVC.
As far as filling the holes, I have used lightweight vinyl spackle, but haven't been back to the job to see if it held up well. For projects that don't get painted, I typically don't fill the holes, but if I do, I will just put a dab of Christys Red Hot in the hole. The problem with this is that it will dimple.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup you got it Greg, they are all built the same around here. Those plugs look pretty sweet, I have a bigger azek job coming up. I'm deffinetly gonna look into them.

Lone, I hope I don't sound to much like an amatuer:laughing: I was planning on glueing the 3/8" azek sheet to the plywood sheating of the house. Azek recomends that it is glued to its substrate. I have never worked with the sheets, I am afraid not to glue it, what do you think?

Dave

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Lone, I hope I don't sound to much like an amatuer:laughing: I was planning on glueing the 3/8" azek sheet to the plywood sheating of the house. Azek recomends that it is glued to its substrate. I have never worked with the sheets, I am afraid not to glue it, what do you think?

Dave
Well Dave, it's only a theory at this point, but I'm suspicious about moisture collecting behind the sheet goods. Maybe it's due to my experience being primarily in coastal homes. I have found that ventilation plays an extremely important role in these high humidity conditions.
I would at the very least glue your panels with a vertical pattern. In the event that condensation does form, it will be able to drain freely and if you don't pull the panel too tight to the substrate, it may facilitate some ventilation.
In the case of this photo, I installed the sheet goods over a layer of #30 felt and stud nailed the sheet, then hid the fasteners behind the panel overlays and frames.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks lone, I am deffinetly gonna think about my install options. I'm gonna have to take another look at those sheets in the morning, I'm thinking it may be more important to put something behind them rather than glueing them. I knew you would have a picture in your collection of the situation:laughing:

Dave

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Thanks lone, I am deffinetly gonna think about my install options. I'm gonna have to take another look at those sheets in the morning, I'm thinking it may be more important to put something behind them rather than glueing them. I knew you would have a picture in your collection of the situation:laughing:

Dave
I would definitely want something behind it. You could consider screwing it if you're concerned about a positive attachment. The panel overlays can be glued with PVC cement with just a few brads to keep it in place.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks lone, Alright, I'm I guess I will skip the glue on the back. At the least I'm gonna put some felt behind it. I wasn't thinking before, I should be able to hide just about all the fastners on the sheet.

Dave

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Thanks lone, Alright, I'm I guess I will skip the glue on the back. At the least I'm gonna put some felt behind it. I wasn't thinking before, I should be able to hide just about all the fastners on the sheet.

Dave
No prob dave, I'd like to see some pics if it's not too much trouble.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
maybe incorporate a rain screen type detail and mounting on thin strips of pvc furring
and glue the panel to the strips

probably most of the failures with these kinds of panels in the past was from water leaking thru the window sills id make sure that you have adequate sill flashing overlapping the wrb regardless

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No prob dave, I'd like to see some pics if it's not too much trouble.:thumbsup:

Yup I'm doing the job this week, I'll post them up in a couple days. I have to warn you though lone, they are no where near as fancy and nice as the pic you posted:laughing:

tomstruble, I like that furring idea, if I didn't have to worry about my depth on this one, that seems like a good solution.

neo, that stuff looks pretty sweet. As usual I checked the distributer locater and there isn't one close enough to me:laughing:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts