Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this is already on here I apologize but I can't find it, although it's very possible that I'm just not looking for the right keywords.

Okay, I know that each company will have different numbers for each job. I am trying to get a business up and running. For the fall/winter I plan on just doing a little part time work (this is a deck business, not too many people want to sit outside in the cold) just to get my name out there and get my feet in the water. This spring I plan to quit my job and go full time. I'm sure I will not have enough business (at first) when I go full time to put in a full 40 hr week (of swinging a hammer, not including paper work etc.).

Now I know how much I'll charge for labor, what my overhead cost will be, and what I want for profit. My question is if my overhead is "x" amount of money a year, month, week, etc. do you just add in the overhead as if I worked full time, without changing anything, and just take the loss, or do I compensate for lack of business? I'm afraid if I, say double, my charge for overhead to make up for lack of business I will bid myself out of the water. I also don't think it's the customers fault that I don't have a full schedule.

Another thing I was thinking was maybe I am breaking my overhead down too far. Instead of breaking it down to a day or hour (depending on job) maybe do a week. If I could build 2 average decks a week, and only get one just have my overhead for the week covered by that job. As I type that I guess it's basically still having the customer reimbursing for my lack of business. :blink: I guess that's why I'm asking you guys.

Thanks for the help guy:thumbsup:. And if something doesn't make since please ask, I had trouble figuring out how to word some things.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much overhead can you have when your not doing jobs.
I don't have much. I am paying my truck off before I start, but I plan to still use that payment in my overhead so when I buy a new one my bids don't increase. I will only have things like marketing, auto, my income, and all the insurances associated with a business.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I have personnel bills that don't stop because I stop working, those are the ones that are costly. I wake up on the first of every month and owe about $7000.00. Mortgage, kids college and all the other chit it takes to survive.
Do you add your personal expenses on top of your salary to your overhead?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts