Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a tiny home that is 28' x 10' with 3 degrees of angle. I am trying to figure out if the dimensions the guy at the roofing company gave me are correct (I have attached them here). I would like 6 inches of hang just to be safe. He is also wanting to know what the pitch for the trim would be and Im not sure how to figure that out. Any help would be much appreciated. View attachment 512679

·
Eater of sins.
4,576 Posts
Hey come on guys, he said that he is in the trades but just starting out so I think we can cut him some slack.

the 3:12 means that for every 12" of run (that is the horizontal distance the rise or pitch will go up 3". Which is a pretty shallow pitch roof but not too bad really.
A 5/8:12 would only be 5/8" of rise for every 12" of run. OK?
That is a nearly flat roof really.

The "hang" of 6" is the distance that the eave projects from the exterior face of the house wall. It is sometimes referred to as the 'over-hang'.

Andy.

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,831 Posts
According to this he is a painter....

And here he is asking basic framing questions

So until I see a website, some credentials, or pics of actual work I say he is a homeowner building himself a tiny house

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,036 Posts
There is a serious shortage of tradesmen right now, painterboy.

This is a great time to go find employment with a contractor and learn the trades.

If you can work hard, stay off drugs, show up on time, and take directions, you’re pretty much guaranteed employment right now. 👍

And grab Leonard Koel‘s book “Carpentry” and read it every night when you get home.

Fumblefkking around on your own house where you don’t even know the most basic concepts is not doing you any favors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts