Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My reason for subscribing to this forum is a bit unorthodox, but I am looking for some technical information for a novel I am working on. If this is okay with the administrators and of course you all, I would like to post some questions and encourage as many of you who are willing to help to share information to do so.

:Thumbs: thanks,
Lori

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Sounds good to me, I understand research for writing, I actually have my own book in progress. Only been working on it 15 yrs., still on chapter 1. LOL

Understand that some questions may go unanswered and if this smacks of spam, you're gone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks for the opportunity!

Teetorbilt said:
Sounds good to me, I understand research for writing, I actually have my own book in progress. Only been working on it 15 yrs., still on chapter 1. LOL

THAT'S HOW I BEGAN ... THEN ONE DAY I GOT SERIOUS. YOU NEVER KNOW!

Understand that some questions may go unanswered and if this smacks of spam, you're gone.
I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY!

THANKS SO MUCH! AND I LIKE YOUR QUOTE ... VERY METAPHORICAL!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Metawhat :eek: OK, maybe it needs some more work.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Ha!

OK shoot! If you want advise, man did you find the guy!

Lets have it? .....Ask away?

Bob

The poster of this message can in no way be held accountable for damage to personal property, arrest or charges of animal sex provoked from his advice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay Bob and whomever else is interested in adding their .02 ...

Question 1: Is it common to find mistakes on blueprints by the time they reach the contractor? If so, what kind and/or share your craziest goof-up ...

Question 2: Is there an industry standard for office door sizes? If so, what is it?

Question 3: What is the average day like for a construction foreman on a commercial worksite?

Question 4: Can an owner be his own foreman?

Question 5: What really goes on in those little trailers? Professional speaking, that is!

More to come ...
Thanks!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
1) Blueprints are fouled up most of the time. The most common problems that I have encountered are measurements that don't add up and window openings that don't match the windows that were spec'd.

3) On a good day, when everything is clicking, the weather is good and morale is running high, it can be very satisfying. On a bad day, one weighs the death penalty vs. ridding the world of a bunch of morons. The average day is a combination of both.

A few years back a guy in Palm Beach actually went postal with an AK-47, got into a lot of trouble.

4) You can be a Homeowner/Contractor in most places and build your own home from the ground up. Inspectors like most of them because they are very meticulous and worry about not passing inspections.

5) Mostly coffee and donuts. Just kidding!
This is the nerve center of the jobsite. Generally there is someone manning the phone lines, an expediter and the job supervisor. Coming and going will be the GC, architect, OSHA, inspectors, vendors, subs, delivery drivers and anyone else associated with the project. BTW, they also usually have coffee and donuts.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Regarding question #2, most commercial doors are 3'-0" wide and 7'-0" high. With recent desires for higher ceilings in office spaces, though, 8' (and taller) are not unusual anymore.

Bob

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
lorizecca said:
Okay Bob and whomever else is interested in adding their .02 ...

Question 1: Is it common to find mistakes on blueprints by the time they reach the contractor? If so, what kind and/or share your craziest goof-up ...

Question 2: Is there an industry standard for office door sizes? If so, what is it?

Question 3: What is the average day like for a construction foreman on a commercial worksite?

Question 4: Can an owner be his own foreman?

Question 5: What really goes on in those little trailers? Professional speaking, that is!

More to come ...
Thanks!
Is it common to find blue print mistakes? I have never received a 100% accurate print.

A foreman's job is a crazy job. Sometimes like running around like a chikcen without a head. I think you are calling the foreman something he is not though. The person who runs the job site is either the superintendant, GC, or project manager. Each sub crew usually has their own foreman that leads that crew. For example the carpenters have a foreman, and the roofers have a foreman, but the superintendant runs the job.

an office sized door? Aren't they typically 36"wide x 80" high? I could be wrong.

Can an owner be their own GC? Yes many have. I have found, when ever I work for them, I usually end up fixing their mistakes. They don't understand when I have technical questions... but they usually pay better than a professional GC.

Think of the trailers as any other office space and the typical office antics.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
1. I haven't seen a freakin Pecaso yet.

2. Grumps right 3680.

3. Ever seen someone drowning?

4. Not according to the Union.

5. Would you like to join me Lori and I'll show you, we don't keep that AC cranking for nothing.:cheesygri

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Bob, you're worth the price of admission.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Bob, you're worth the price of admission.

ROFL

I think anyone who helps should get a free copy of your book ;) just kidding. Good luck in your endeavor.

-Joe

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Never seen 'prints w/o errors. Building a piece-en-piece log building years ago, with a complicated timber roof designed by a carpenter who had 'moved up' to design work. Got to the cutting of the roof members and there was just no way this thing could go together without using a fourth dimension. Looked good in any elevation (side view) or plan but it all couldn't fit in at once. We were cussing and carryin' on, when who should come up the road looking for some work? He got to re-design and do most of the grunt work for nothing. That doesn't happen often, it's usually 'someone else's fault/problem' Rich.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Bob may have done her in, she might have been looking for the TOH guys or Bob Villa.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Seeing as how lori has apparently deserted her thread AND how the thread has wandered...... Wrong! this needs it's own thread!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still here!!!!

Wow! And Teetorbuilt thought you guys might not respond!!!! :cheesygri

Been busy, but I'm going through all the posts now, which I am sure will bring to mind more questions, but it's apparent you guys are up for the challenge!

Though of course Bob's post caught my attention :rolleyes: ... thanks for the offer, Bob but I'm not really not that curious! LOL!

And ... Free books, maybe ... credits and dedications, definitely! Actually, I've got a few new characters in mind thanks to some of you ... perhaps I should consider naming them accordingly!!!!

Thanks again, and I'll be back soon!
Lori ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts