Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any difference Between Owens Corning blown in fiberglass and CertainTeed blown in fiberglass?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Equally poor in comparison to other choices. Over-rated because of misleading advertising. You don't get a R19 wall by using R19 insulation. It will be between R11 and R17.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I assume you realize the difference, but do not want to talk about it. Comparing brands of a generic material is just splitting hairs.

After going through 5 months of damage and problem investigation after hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma, the difference in real performance is obvious.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I don’t want to waste time arguing about cellulose vs. fiberglass.
Ok MEL, since you obviously have the knowledge down, you won't need anything from us...after all, some of us actually know which is a better product.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I assume you realize the difference, but do not want to talk about it. Comparing brands of a generic material is just splitting hairs.

After going through 5 months of damage and problem investigation after hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma, the difference in real performance is obvious.
I think the mind is closed Dick.....:whistling

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CertainTeed clams that at R-30 a bag of their insulation will cover 67 sqft compared to competitors that will only cover 57-63 sqft. That’s about a 15% difference.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Since you have the manufacturer's claims down, why ask us? The seller of the product definitely knows which is better, for everyone.

I assume you are deciding that fiberglass is superior because Owens Corning told you so?

I have to ask.....I know I shouldn't, but why ask if you want to disregard what we tell you? You are a roofer, not a general or builder, and you seem to hear only what you want?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still the poorest choice. Why are you promoting fiberglass?
Let’s pretend that I switched over to cellulose, what would that do to my cost of labor and materials compared to fiberglass?

Where would I go to buy it? And don’t tell me Home Depot.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Let’s pretend that I switched over to cellulose, what would that do to my cost of labor and materials compared to fiberglass?

Where would I go to buy it? And don’t tell me Home Depot.
I would start here: http://www.fiberlitetech.com/ and call them...ask for Craig, and talk it over with him. he will tell you, for instance, that a bag of cellulose will cost around $7 and cover 30 sq/ft.....you do the math.

You can promote your product by explaining the benefits of cellulose, and if new construction kicks off, you will be set to do wall spray.

My son's machine came from here: http://www.sprayinsulation.com/InsulMaxx-Insulation-Machines_c_3.html and you can call them and ask for Tim.

Now read this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...gA&q=cellulose+better+than+fiberglass&spell=1 and start educating yourself on what you will be doing.

Any legitimate help I can give you, just ask.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.