Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. Hope your all healthy and thriving.

Not sure were to post this.

Does anybody know of a solution for fiberglass not to delaminate or peel off copper gutter box.

New construction city roof top builds have been going with fiberglass roof to save cost on real deck but one the biggest failures is at the parapet wall which serves as railings. The drain boxes get installed then layered with fiberglass when the the substrate is coated.

Any tips/tricks to help prevent peel off fiberglass.

Thoughts on that flex gutter seal spray before fiberglass? Bonding primer?

I was thinking sand/scratching copper with 60grit.. That would help the fiberglass bite better.

Thank you all in advance for your time.

City.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey Guys. Hope your all healthy and thriving.

Not sure were to post this.

Does anybody know of a solution for fiberglass not to delaminate or peel off copper gutter box.

New construction city roof top builds have been going with fiberglass roof to save cost on real deck but one the biggest failures is at the parapet wall which serves as railings. The drain boxes get installed then layered with fiberglass when the the substrate is coated.

Any tips/tricks to help prevent peel off fiberglass.

Thoughts on that flex gutter seal spray before fiberglass? Bonding primer?

I was thinking sand/scratching copper with 60grit.. That would help the fiberglass bite better.

Thank you all in advance for your time.

City.
I think I'm going to use west system epoxy to layer copper with box then fiberglass over.

Just talked to a buddy of mine who's in marines and was next to one there heli mechanics. They usexa similar layering system to avoid corrosion.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Contractor
4,643 Posts
drill small holes in the copper for the fiberglass to key into or have a flange bent onto the end of the copper.

I would think the copper will eventually oxidize and the fiberglass will come off. maybe focus on a high grade polyurethane caulk at the fiberglass and copper union to keep the water out.

·
Designer/Contractor
3,477 Posts
I would contact the manufacturers of whatever you're going to use and see what they suggest. Here's the link for Gougen Brothers, Inc., the manufacturers of the WEST System and PRO-SET marine-grade epoxies.

https://gougeon.com/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts