Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a call this morning for a quote to blast a 21' boat. its in storage but easy to get to with my equipment. he will prep everythig and just wants me to blast. i told him i cant give him a quote until i did a test spot but did tell him my hourly rate and he was ok with it.

apparently it has a few coats of paint and is bubbling and chipped in a few spots. he knows there is some repairs to do and wants it down to gelcoat to proceed said it didnt matter if i got into the gelcoat in spots just not intentionally.

having only done a few minutes with fiberglass i am very new at it. can you guys share some techniques on how i should proceed to remove the paint? i will be using natrium soda, blast techinques and pressure would be greatly appreciated.:notworthy

anyone who does boats have a kind of average time for blasting? as far as i understand i am just going to do the sides and rear plus the leg.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
see new post

http://www.contractortalk.com/f95/anti-fouling-bottom-paint-removal-71489/

The Hardest thing with boats is the anti fouling paint! local codes for containment, disposal... tent building.

fiberglass is not bad, just dont dwell in a spot to long,
start back away and work closer till you feel its comeing off good.

If building tents, take your time and do it right. it makes clean up easier.
blasting with 100 psi is ok, # 6 or 7 nozzle.

watch the post above. it will give alot of info i think.

good luck.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
I use about 90 psi for boats. 21 feet may take you two hours or less I would think. You don't need to do any testing, it's not a big deal. It comes off fine just bshow up and blast it. You can't charge by the hour< unless you charge about three hundred an hour? You will screw your self when it cleans up fast. Just give him a price. You will use four bags of soda on a 21 foot boat. Just figure about $135 your cost and add what you can on maybe charge $580. Come down $50 buck to make him a deal if he insists. This is easy work for a quic $400. profit and doing all of these tests makes it look like you are not certain of what you are doing. Show up like a pro , like it isn't your first boat.

You say it is in storage? It is out side right? I'm sure it is. But you can't do it on a trailer. It has to be blocked up so you can get to everything. A lot of people have asked me if it had to be off the trailer, it does. And a good two or three feet up at least so you are not laying down to get to the middle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts