Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been installing FC for quite a few years and have gotten pretty good with it. I have a job coming up that the builder wants to use Smartside. I have never hung this product, but do not see it being an issue. My issue is that everyone keeps saying that it is less expensive to install than FC. I know you can cut it with a regular wood blade and that they are 16' lengths, but install procedures would be same as FC,right? Am I missing something or is it that much easier?

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I've used it and probably wouldn't any more in most cases except well protected scenarios. It's easier because there are fewer cuts, no toxic dust, it's way lighter and stronger so 16' boards are easier to handle than FC 12'.

Make sure the painter knows to really paint the bottom edge well.

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I've found it's the same. Sure it's lighter but a well trained crew is used to handling the heavier cement siding anyway so it's not so much a labor savings.

Now if you charge by what's easier than sure it's cheaper but if charge by time consumed on job it's about the same. Just what I've found.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've found it's the same. Sure it's lighter but a well trained crew is used to handling the heavier cement siding anyway so it's not so much a labor savings.

Now if you charge by what's easier than sure it's cheaper but if charge by time consumed on job it's about the same. Just what I've found.
This is the problem I'm seeing. In order to do it cheaper, it would have to be done quicker. If install is pretty much identical then I don't see where I
could make up any time.

Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Dwayne03 said:
Hey guys, I've been installing FC for quite a few years and have gotten pretty good with it. I have a job coming up that the builder wants to use Smartside. I have never hung this product, but do not see it being an issue. My issue is that everyone keeps saying that it is less expensive to install than FC. I know you can cut it with a regular wood blade and that they are 16' lengths, but install procedures would be same as FC,right? Am I missing something or is it that much easier?
We charge the same for labor. Best to I stall over a rain screen. If that is not possible because of the builder, at least advise they use a drain wrap, we like Benjamin Odbyke. Take special care on your butt joint gaps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure I'd charge less to install a inferior product. Much higher warranty liability for smartside which would vastly out weigh any installation savings in my opinion.
Trust me, I don't want to charge less. Around this area if you do not adjust your pricing to suit builders, your out. They will find someone who is willing to work for their price just to work. I had to drop my install price for FC 25% for one builder. Thats alot of $ when you do 500-600 square a year for them.

When it comes to product warranty, most builders do care. But there are some that bottom $ is all they see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We charge the same for labor. Best to I stall over a rain screen. If that is not possible because of the builder, at least advise they use a drain wrap, we like Benjamin Odbyke. Take special care on your butt joint gaps!
One builder wanted me to put rain screen behind FC but didn't like the extra cost. Why do you say to install behind Smartside? I install rain screen behind cedar, but I wouldn't think with Smartside it would be needed. Is it really that bad of a product?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Dwayne03 said:
One builder wanted me to put rain screen behind FC but didn't like the extra cost. Why do you say to install behind Smartside? I install rain screen behind cedar, but I wouldn't think with Smartside it would be needed. Is it really that bad of a product?
It is wood strands mixed with resins. Anything you can do to allow any moister behind the siding to dry out the longer it will last.

·
Roofing/Siding Contractor
25 Posts
I would agree, on charging for this job by the labor because it will take just as long my the cuts and installing.

Reactions: thefirebird777
1 - 15 of 15 Posts