Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
customer has some abestos siding with either fiber board or 1 x 6 under neath. they REFUSE to let us remove the abestos.
we could do a few things:
1) put OSB over the abestos with some tyvek and then put up the fiber cement.
2) put 1/2" insulation board over the abestos and then put up the fiber cement.
3) drug the guy,remove the abestos down to the fiber board and nail the fiber cement into the studs.
seriously, give me some advice on #1 and #2, pro's and con's.
also,some guys do not like puuting insulation board under fiber cement,any reason?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
customer has some abestos siding with either fiber board or 1 x 6 under neath. they REFUSE to let us remove the abestos.
we could do a few things:
1) put OSB over the abestos with some tyvek and then put up the fiber cement.
2) put 1/2" insulation board over the abestos and then put up the fiber cement.
3) drug the guy,remove the abestos down to the fiber board and nail the fiber cement into the studs.
seriously, give me some advice on #1 and #2, pro's and con's.
also,some guys do not like puuting insulation board under fiber cement,any reason?

I personally have put 1/2" Dow board over asbestos and then installed vinyl siding. Based on that experience, I would do the same with fibre cement.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I personally have put 1/2" Dow board over asbestos and then installed vinyl siding. Based on that experience, I would do the same with fibre cement.:thumbsup:

Wouldn't the insulation collapse under the nails?

I wouldn't do the job if they refused to remove the asbestos

·
Banned
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No,i don't believe the rigid foam would collapse from the nails. the nails would only go into the studs for this type of installation.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I wouldnt do any of the above. I would tell them I am removing the asbestos and doing the job properly.

Fiber Cement tends to hold moisture. I could see that being a reason of why not to put any type of insulation board.

Man, I hate fiber cement garbage.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I wouldnt do any of the above. I would tell them I am removing the asbestos and doing the job properly.

Fiber Cement tends to hold moisture. I could see that being a reason of why not to put any type of insulation board.

Man, I hate fiber cement garbage.

Yea, I won't install it. It doesn't even look good:no:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Like Tom I would strap the house and build out the window trim detail to match
quick easy and least expensive of the options

·
Registered
477 Posts
LP smartside? worked with it before. That stuff will be rotten junk in 10 years. Don't tell me that paint is going to keep it from rotting.

Fiber Cement siding is far superior to wood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts